Best place to buy brand new saws in uk?

The Tree Co

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to use local dealers where possible but they are useless round here closest 2 are 18 miles away one is a husky dealer who i have never had much to do with the other is Stihl/Efco in fairness they did pricematch on my Efco 8550 Boss but on everything else they are ridiculously expensive. I picked up a 70 link chain there the other day as the ones I had on order elsewhere had been delayed & i needed one in a hurry they charged £20.30 for it then to top it off when I got home I found they had given me 3/8 low profile chain rather than the 3/8 chain I asked for so it was another 36 mile round trip to sort that out.

My saws are either Echo or Dolmar so neither of these are able to supply them anyway the nearest Echo dealer is 20 miles away but never seems to have what I want in stock & they tell me it will take weeks to get things in and Dolmar seem to be non existent at local dealers so i end up buying saws online instead. I have never needed a warranty repair on an Echo or Dolmar saw so dealer support is neither here nor there.

For anything else (climbing kit etc...) I tend to use another Stihl dealer 35 miles away as they are actually pretty good with the occasional item ordered online from someone like FR Jones if i can't get to the local dealers for one reason or another.

I use my local dealer, he pretty much price matches, but if I am paying a little over the top at least I know help is at hand nearby if I get an issue, cheapest is not always best in most things.

I'm not obsessed by price, but by a good local service & backup, a wise thing learnt the hard way.

I think any tree surgeon needs to ask himself how he wants to be treated himself. If you had to quote for a job and was presented with a cheaper online quote or a cheaper quote from a company 150 miles away , what would be your response?

Selling online is a cheaper way of running a business as there is far less labour or premises required, but its that personal touch that is lost and that is the element that adds extra value to a transaction to the end user.

We sell Stihl chainsaws to most of the local tree surgeons and can nearly or exactly price match on most occasions. The difference for those regular customers is the service they get, with minor repairs and warranty work carried out on the spot, small jobs often not charged for and if the customer is desperately stuck a loan saw. I am happy to admit that saws bought from us and especially those under warranty get priority attention, that is only fair as that customer has supported us and we should support him. All other saws are dealt with as soon as time allows

Realistically, saw buyers need to build up a good relationship with their local dealer as the more they buy, the better deal they will get and the better service they will receive. If the dealer doesnt offer this then he needs to look in depth at his business

I think any tree surgeon needs to ask himself how he wants to be treated himself. If you had to quote for a job and was presented with a cheaper online quote or a cheaper quote from a company 150 miles away , what would be your response?

Selling online is a cheaper way of running a business as there is far less labour or premises required, but its that personal touch that is lost and that is the element that adds extra value to a transaction to the end user.

We sell Stihl chainsaws to most of the local tree surgeons and can nearly or exactly price match on most occasions. The difference for those regular customers is the service they get, with minor repairs and warranty work carried out on the spot, small jobs often not charged for and if the customer is desperately stuck a loan saw. I am happy to admit that saws bought from us and especially those under warranty get priority attention, that is only fair as that customer has supported us and we should support him. All other saws are dealt with as soon as time allows

Realistically, saw buyers need to build up a good relationship with their local dealer as the more they buy, the better deal they will get and the better service they will receive. If the dealer doesnt offer this then he needs to look in depth at his business

:thumbup1: Spot on

I do a 50 mile round trip, driving past a Stihl/Echo dealer on the way, in order to support an Echo dealer that looks after their customers. Before I found them, I bought online and would have had to post a small warranty job on one saw back to them 'for assessment'!

The dealer I drive past spent a week telling me 'out of stock', 'back order' etc. on a special part, which frustrated me so I phoned around. My new regular dealer not only had the part in stock, but said 'bring the saw and I'll fit it for you'! :)

That dealer now gets all my business. They answer my questions, even the awkward ones by promising to phone me back and then actually doing so with the best answer they can. Well worth the few percent extra over the online deals. :) :)

And they do the warranty work on the stuff I bought online previously (not that there's been much). Just wanted to see a copy of the invoice in order to date it correctly. :) :) :)

Edited by Ukulian

I had really hoped that would be the case with my local dealer. Sadly not.

If you were my local dealer it would most likely be different.

PS. What's the best way to unseize a clutch on a BCS Tracmaster? Easiest to take the engine off?

I am a firm believer of supporting my local dealers who are fantastic,for Stihl saws I go to Duttons mower world and for climbing kit etc its Skyland .

I am lucky that they are within 10mins drive either way ,am not interested in ringing around for the sake of a fiver cheaper than joe bloggs it customer service gets my vote .

Ste