So confused about what saw to get

Countryboy

550 and 560 shouldn't be compared really The 550 is a great felling saw and snedding saw and the 560 is a great all rounder. If you're going to be stuck with one saw go for the 560 if you've got a bigger saw like a 372 or similar go for the 550. Me personally have never had any problems with either saws always been reliable and no starting issues.

Oh and the 550 is a superior saw in every way to the stihl 261

Oh oh one more thing just re read the op first post and a 550 on a 15 in bar will do nicely its a bit easier on the back specially when you're using it all day

Edited by CJM

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're considering the MS 261, then forget the 560, especially since you already have bigger saws. The MS260 is a cracking and has many devotees. The MS261 is less popular ; I reckon mainly due to them eating clutch bearings. Got to keep them greased.

Both the 550XP & 560XP have had their problems. But both models seem to have had their problems sorted. The 2013-2014 ones are much more reliable. If it was a choice between a 260 and 550, the decision would be tough. Between the 261 and 550 it's easier, (unless you're a die hard Stihl fan) go for the 550XP.

Got to say, 550 all the way, but you wiil need a bigger second saw.

Walking round all day with a saw though, the lighter, the better and the 550 is as light and as powerful as you will need for 95% of the time.

Just make sure you have a 372 for the rest.

TCD Don't get me wrong. I can only recommend what I know, and I know huskies. I was gutted to miss out on an old Sachs Dolmar a couple of weeks ago, and one of my favourite ever saws was an old Homelite. I'm not wedded to my Huskies, but I do find they deliver and they deliver well.

Personally, I may well be in touch one day. Dolmar please, how much? They do seem to be bullet-proof and what Pro-user doesn't love that?

TCD Don't get me wrong. I can only recommend what I know, and I know huskies. I was gutted to miss out on an old Sachs Dolmar a couple of weeks ago, and one of my favourite ever saws was an old Homelite. I'm not wedded to my Huskies, but I do find they deliver and they deliver well.

Personally, I may well be in touch one day. Dolmar please, how much? They do seem to be bullet-proof and what Pro-user doesn't love that?

Comment wasn't at you, rather the whole thread. De ja vu x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

True, true, but what else can you expect. 95 % of people who make their living with saw use either Huskies or Stihls, You can't blame them for that, that is what we are offered, the dealerships and support simply aren't out there for other manufacturers and if you rely on your saw, you also rely on your local dealer. That simply doesn't exist for any of the smaller guys, and that is a shame. Some of us would love to be able to go into our local dealership and pick up a Dolmar as easily as we can get a Huskie or Stihl, but the fact is, we can't and we can't get the parts or service/repair support either.

When/if that changes, I strongly suspect that the fortunes of Dolmar in the UK will change too.

I know you are Passionate about them, but many of the rest of us aren't. This isn't because we have no faith in the product though (I suspect that at least 20% on here wouldn't mind having one, which is a good share of the market). It is simply because you can't find any of the support locally.

Excuse me butting in, but Dolmar are red versions of the very available and identical Makita saws available in many shops in the UK.

I have a DCS4301 which is a great little saw and cost me around £280, discounted from £600 odd if I remember correctly. Sadly the guy in the shop who used to give these crazy discounts has since left and I can't buy Makita as cheaply.

I have no problems with the saw, it is very gutsy and well built, although I've had to rewind the pull start spring which shat itself within a year..

I'm tempted to buy a DCS9010 for no better reason than it looks like a beast and is about £200 cheaper than an orange equivalent.

i would say that makitas are blue versions of dolmars, surely dcs stands for dolmar chain saw, im sure tcd and shavey will correct me if im wrong, great saws whatever the colour !

back to op tho, do you really need a full pro saw for cutting firewood ?