Towing capacities of a 86hp tractor.

Matthew Storrs

It's a very subjective question.

A 6 ton braked load behind it should be fairly well within it's limits, couple it with genuine 4 wheel braking on the tractor and it'll be pretty safe too.

As to what you actually COULD pull with it, well 8-10 is well possible but you know, there are so many variables, even the sort of roads you're pulling on. Flat smooth road you'll cruise along with 12 ton on easier than 4 or 5 on a hilly rough back road.

When you say "trailer options" do you mean a dump trailer, drop side general purpose, monocoque, low loader, or what? Physical size of the trailer frequently is as much of an issue as the weight it carries as loads can vary so much.

Hi matt, can't tell exactly what weights you could pull, without running over a weigh bridge estimating weights is tricky , depending on the load. I would just say go steady and you'll get a feel for it's capability. You'll soon find out if your overloaded as soon as you start going down a hill, often resulting in a brown trouser moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Remember when I was younger, carting grain with 80-90hp ford 66-7600 2wd's and 10 ton trailers with the trailer brakes on the spool valve! and that was fine, you just drove accordingly, then 10 t trailers again behind 2850's with 40k and even today I still pull a 12 grain trailer with the old massey 6150 when we get short and it makes it grunt but tows it ok! I think that as we are so used to 160hp plus tractors on trailers these days we forget that you don't need that hp and size if you don't go mad! Also best to buy a bit bigger trailer so if you upgrade tractor one day you can keep the trailer.

Cheers for the responses:thumbup1:

This is the sort of thing I had in mind, This is a 6ton trailer which weighs 1.5t plus 3ton digger and about upto 1ton worth of attachments etc. http://jpmtrailers.com/images/p1020903.jpg I would probably preferred a dual axle trailer but they increase in weight a fair bit so single might just do mine fine.

The tractor has genuine 4 wheel braking, ie discs on all 4 wheels as opposed to using the 4wd system to brake.

i have a 100hp ford 7840 which would be heavier than your same but today i had a 10 tonne rear discharge spreader on the back which it handled well up a very steep bank just selected low box and went steady.I have had our 15 tonne jcb 360 on the back that was heavy but with good brakes its fine.You would be fine with 10 tonne braked no problem!!

I have a case 4230 1996 P reg (82hp)with 4wd braking system on the flatlands of east yorkshire. I use a single axle trailer that was original 6 ton but since uprated by triffett trailers its maker to a tandem axle, but in the 1980s they didnt bother to uprate the plate. 6ton is fine. But get 9 ton on the tractor loses speed on the small hills round here, down to 10-12 mph. Which is a bit embarrassing.

Best to gaffer the load than stain it.