Opinions on this job?

haforbes

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only you know your capabilities dude. If you can do a Good Dismantle., then go for it with the right price ./. Sub it on to another firm for a small percentage to yourself / Hire a MEWP.. But whatever you do., Do it safely.!! If you have doubt in yourself .. Just take a little time to go through your process first. Only you with your knowledge., kit n skill knows if it's capable to do .. Rigging Bollard would help on this ten fold as MEWP might not get you where you need to be (river n banking being the biggest pain for operator).

Be safe n good luck dude.

"Only Smarties Have The Answer"

DG, fair balls to you for posting your price breakdown but I would still say your massively too cheap. As stated earlier I don't do arb work but would think something like following:

Day one

Climber: £150

Rescue climber/Groundie: £150

Groundie with chipper: £240 (8 hours at £30 p/h)

Day two

Groundie with truck: £240 (8 hours@£30p/h as lot of timber to go back to yard)

Groundie: £120

Total labour: £900

Mark up 40% POR: £360 (covers your time looking job (and the jobs you didn't get) plus all other expenses and leeway for f@ck up)

Total: £1260 plus VAT

And I'd say that's still at the sharp end. If you can get cheaper labour then fair enough but you should still be charging market rate, in fact there's argument that if climber getting paid £150 then your costs should reflect £200

I always price work so that labour covered, management time covered, additional costs covered then finally additional profit to go back into bank as I run a business to make money. Always should be increasing bank balance after each job, even if for no other reason than to cover breakages and replace kit

You would charge £240 for to take away the wood?

haforbes

I would happily clear the wood for nothing and if no major hassles may well be able to give you something for it :001_smile:

Good luck with doing the takedown and the the advice of getting a well recommended contract climber to work together with you is sound, even though it's a straightforward removal.

May reduce your margin, but worth every penny and you will learn a lot.

Get the timber back your end - as a firewood bonus eventually.

Don't overlook the public access on the site.

If your price is more than £975 on Dartmoor, I doubt very much you will get the job. I don't expect you are vat reg. so that gives you an edge possibly.

Edited by arboriculturist

Of course I would charge to take away the wood. That looks a big old tree so an awful lot of work before it's in manageable sizes and loaded onto pickup/trailer, which then needs driven to yard and unloaded. That's all an expense. If you get a lorry and crane in then fine but you're just replacing one expense with another, albeit one way or another may be more efficient.

If you think you can sell the wood as firewood then fair enough, just don't forget to cost your time and haulage getting it back to your yard - it's not "free" wood! You then have to convert those big roundels, season them a bit and ultimately deliver.. then you finally get your money back.

I think there's two clear train of thoughts re pricing jobs and never the twain shall meet! I'll reiterate that I don't do tree surgery but I know what my time is worth plus all other costs. To have all the hassle and costs of running business then work at the prices quoted here is not for me, I'd far rather park up/sell kit and go do something else more profitable.

Each to their own though, good luck and merry Christmas to all

Or save the need for a chipper and truck/trailer by having a farmer put a grain trailer underneath the tree and drop everything straight into it.

You know a farmer that would let you do that to his grain trailer?

Yep. You obviously don't just bomb big bits in without thought. Scrap pallets pad the brash. Brash pads the chogs. Much would come down on a rope anyway.

I love chippers but sometimes the inelegant is better.

You would charge £240 for to take away the wood?

haforbes

I would happily clear the wood for nothing and if no major hassles may well be able to give you something for it :001_smile:

I think when quoting for tree work, don't think about the money you make on logs, just price it as if you just tip the logs on a tip site, and if you do do logs then bonus! It would keep the price of this industry up!!

DG, fair balls to you for posting your price breakdown but I would still say your massively too cheap. As stated earlier I don't do arb work but would think something like following:

Day one

Climber: £150

Rescue climber/Groundie: £150

Groundie with chipper: £240 (8 hours at £30 p/h)

Day two

Groundie with truck: £240 (8 hours@£30p/h as lot of timber to go back to yard)

Groundie: £120

Total labour: £900

Mark up 40% POR: £360 (covers your time looking job (and the jobs you didn't get) plus all other expenses and leeway for f@ck up)

Total: £1260 plus VAT

And I'd say that's still at the sharp end. If you can get cheaper labour then fair enough but you should still be charging market rate, in fact there's argument that if climber getting paid £150 then your costs should reflect £200

I always price work so that labour covered, management time covered, additional costs covered then finally additional profit to go back into bank as I run a business to make money. Always should be increasing bank balance after each job, even if for no other reason than to cover breakages and replace kit

Hi Wasp Wood,

No balls really, just how it is- I price work for the railway and that's usually around £180/man/day so wouldn't expect domestic tree firms are above that. I expect most guys think around the £150/day figure. The example given was just a suggestion to the original post author on how to build a quote and consider the risk assessment- then possibly tweek the options when the quote is accepted to increase profit potential. Just a strategy really.

How I would do it in reality is get a subby to give me a price on doing it, add 30% and submit that to the client. Once they accept it, pass it onto the subby who priced it and bank my 30%- nice and bonny.

Alternatively, bid 1K from a pic and hope I can turn up with a 66 and drop it in a oner.

Like most guys have rightly said on here- can't really price from a picture

:thumbup: