Opinions on this job?

haforbes

That's why I would be wanting £1500 minimum for that job, loads of people in this job moan about the price of machines and kit, lo wages etc but if more people charged more.........plenty of threads on already:) a decent gang would bosh that in a day.

Couldn't agree more!!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't do tree surgery or arbwork as I believe you chaps call it.. And thank goodness I don't!

..for those quoting a grand How can a three man squad be on site for two days for £1,000? Not forgetting a truck, chipper, saws, spares, management time for looking job/preparing quote, insurances, tax & NI stamp, holiday pay, pension etc etc

Very basic sums but say two jobs a week at a grand so £2k a week, £8k a month £96k a year. To run a three man squad plus aforementioned kitI/expenses, I might be out a bit with figures but add on another 25% and still not enough.

I realise competition had forced prices down but you really need to have a look at your pricing and if that's the going rate.... Go do something else.

Not trying to be a smart arse, just can't understand how those figures leave you enough to live on.

The priceing on any job will vary from the fact of how competent you are at what you do and how you would do it and kit,man power you have at you disposal. Some will look at this particular job and say can do in a day others will look and say two days. Hence the price variation. My price I gave was for a day.:thumbup:

I agree with what your saying, I suppose it all depends on your own circumstances, but I always put a good price on big jobs, as you can soon be up **** creek with a big job! But if the bigger boys want to go do the job for cost to keep there lads busy then let them as far as I'm concerned!! I'd rather do 3 little jobs for same price!!

Nail on the head Ham! Give me small jobs all the time-no money in big trees plus more stress!:thumbdown:

Might not be for you! Like I said depends on your circumstances!

My background is forestry, so from my point of view i'd expect people to fell and sned about thirty to forty of these size of trees per day, ofcourse this is differnt owing to the clean up etc, but i know what you mean regarding personal circumstances. But with good planning this tree would be history rather quickly.

To price:

Day one- 3 man team plus chipper, get all the chipping done and start to bring down the timber- £510

Day two- Two man team to fell the stick and ferry the wood back to site- £300

Total- £810 (plus VAT if registered)

Working at Height risk Assessment-

Work should be planned, organised and supervised and undertaken in line with the following hierarchy (or something like):

• Avoid the risks of working at height by achieving the desired results from the ground.

• Achieve the desired results using pole pruners, pole saws and pole mounted chainsaws.

• Minor (small diameter) pruning works and hedge trimming operations may be undertaken from a secured ladder, steps or purpose built platform.

• Access the crown of the tree using a MEWP.

• Access the crown of the tree using approved climbing and work positioning techniques.

Job has £810 on it, explore your options for undertaking the removal following the above hierarchy. Consult Approved Codes of Practice and Industry Guidance to firm up your planning.

Fingers crossed you make some profit.

:thumbup:

I always like to see the trees in real life, you can't judge from a photo but really doesn't look like more than a day for a 3 man squad, as I said hard to tell from photo though

Doing a large dismantle soon and im just hoping the two days that I've put on it is enough......

R

Nail on the head Ham! Give me small jobs all the time-no money in big trees plus more stress!:thumbdown:

At my age I only do small trees and get nice money doing them - leave the big stressy trees to others :lol: I haven't got the man power anyway. Sick of let down wankers not turning up on jobs, those 6.00am text messages pee me off big time, that's if they even bother to contact me.

I give the big stuff to another firm and take a little commission on them.

DG, fair balls to you for posting your price breakdown but I would still say your massively too cheap. As stated earlier I don't do arb work but would think something like following:

Day one

Climber: £150

Rescue climber/Groundie: £150

Groundie with chipper: £240 (8 hours at £30 p/h)

Day two

Groundie with truck: £240 (8 hours@£30p/h as lot of timber to go back to yard)

Groundie: £120

Total labour: £900

Mark up 40% POR: £360 (covers your time looking job (and the jobs you didn't get) plus all other expenses and leeway for f@ck up)

Total: £1260 plus VAT

And I'd say that's still at the sharp end. If you can get cheaper labour then fair enough but you should still be charging market rate, in fact there's argument that if climber getting paid £150 then your costs should reflect £200

I always price work so that labour covered, management time covered, additional costs covered then finally additional profit to go back into bank as I run a business to make money. Always should be increasing bank balance after each job, even if for no other reason than to cover breakages and replace kit