japanees knotweed

Johny Walker

i use picloram as tordon 22k single spray very effectve, also try burning, mowing regulary also works well. glyphosate can take time dont make spray mix too strong 4l/ha

have had sucess digging out and sorting roots very few landfills will take rhizomes i pay 25- 45 tonne to dispose plus tax.

"...that may be the case, but those threads are old and there may be new members with something fresh to contribute to a new thread ...."

Huh, I thought I posted one about 2-3 weeks ago only......mind you, it didnt turn up in a search so who knows.....?

• 1 year later...

Old thread I know but here's my 2p:

Roundup Biactive label says cut above first node and inject hollow stem with 1 part Roundup to 5 parts water. I did this last year and sprayed stuff that was too small to inject and there isn't much left this year. I have sprayed once and am possibly going to get one more spray next month. Original cut waste was put on a proper hot fire piece by piece, on site.

i've done several JKW sites and tried several methods.

the best method i've found is to bend/snap the stems (do not cut) and spray straight away with tourdon 22k.

its not 100% (nothing i've found is) but it is the best i've found

Going off on a tangent slightly, but is it Tordon you can use to control weeds over grass and it will leave the grass unharmed ?

I have 2 gallon of the stuff and have a good use for it if it doesn't harm grass

Going off on a tangent slightly, but is it Tordon you can use to control weeds over grass and it will leave the grass unharmed ?

I have 2 gallon of the stuff and have a good use for it if it doesn't harm grass

if its written as a selective herbicide then you should be ok.

we used a stem injector, there were a couple of guys who invented one and we bought a couple (not cheap at £150 each) but we found it so effective we would visit the site once, inject every single stem with neat glyphosate and then it would work, we acheived a 95%+ control rate, the only ones that didnt die are the ones that you missed!

Can be done any time of year too.

The method we used to use was spraying with glyphosate or pistol or a mixture of both and this was done in fall when the plants were 'sucking back' their resources to sprout again the year after, as they would be pulling it back into the root system, this gave us a 90% control rate in 1-2 applications.

we always used tordon for jkw, broadsword was the one we used over grass. nothing seems to be 100% watch out for watercourses too as that can dictate what you use, and it does have a habit of growing near water.... round here it seems to be overtaken by himalayan balsam now which is just as bad.