slow cooker time again ????

predator

I make chilli with the cheapest pack of beef steaks I can get my hands on, cut into thick slices, with tomatoes, onions, kidney beans, and spices.

Mix it all into the pot the evening before. Next morning just put the slow cooker on low before work. The best thing is the smell when you open the door after work.

I now look down on anyone who makes chilli with minced beef. Pansies.

Its like eating puked up mans chilli, once you've had it theres no going back!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm having beef shin tonight, cooked the day before yesterday, for 4 hours in the rayburn. The trick with slow cooking is to properly brown the meat first, needs to be BROWN not grey. That way you get a really nice dark stock like this...

[ATTACH]170184[/ATTACH]

This is on its third day now, its tastes better than it looks, and the kids love it too.

In there is the well browned shin ( do it in small batches or it just sweats in its own juice) then add onions, carrots, parsnips, turnips or whatever you like, a bunch of thyme, a pint of ale, dash of Lee and Perrins and some pepper and beef stock . taste after cooking to see if it needs any salt, some stocks are quite salty.

cook for 4 hours at 140-160C and enjoy....

HI TOM looks very good mate :thumbup1:well done there thanks jon :thumbup:

Or just shoot you own...

That recipe is also great with rolled brisket, brown it well and have it so the joint sticks out of the stock a little, the top gets kind of roasted and the bottom is falling apart. I forgot to mention celery earlier too...

Could do, but i dont have that many roe on here, and i aint paying to go stalking. Got a roe in the freezer which me mate gave me. Theres one been laying on the side of the 713 for a week now, just waiting for that to ripen a bit more:001_smile:

Might get an invite up to me mates in perthshire on the hinds, but he will want me to climb some b****y great hill, and then drag it all the way back. Prefer to do a driveby.:001_huh:

I think I've got these in the right order. Apologies for blurryness, phone leads a hard life in the chainsaw trousers etc.

This is completely amazing and works great with either venison or lamb. Leave out the juniper berries if you're doing lamb. Also I like to use half port, half red wine for extra sweetness.

http://imgur.com/Sh3OhxZ

http://imgur.com/6jiDOIa

http://imgur.com/9R1vrEo

http://imgur.com/tUoT99v

It's from here:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Cookery-Tom-Norrington-Davis/dp/1906650101]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Cookery-Tom-Norrington-Davis/dp/1906650101[/ame]

Edited by Climbingmagnus

Dust the meat with seasoned flour before browning, helps thicken the sauce. I like to add fruit jams, preserves for the final half hour before serving.

Apricot in a beef stew is nice and works well with half a bottle of red wine.

Redcurrent jelly with lamb shanks is a nice change from rosemary and garlic.

If you are finding you have a lot of watery gravy, I laddle out the gravy and place in a big flat frying pan to reduce quickly and add a knob of butter to make it glossy and stir in the fruit jam of choice then back in the pot and mix.

I don't bother grinding spices like cumin seeds or coriander as they are in there for so long. Slow cooked lamb curry is one to try.

I put my main veg in for just the last 30mins or so as they will go to mush. Any veg put in at the start is also browned for extra flavour.

If i'm making a chicken dish like spanish chicken, chicken fajitas, chicken casserole, curry I cook the sauce for hours to release all the flavour and add large chunks of chicken breast that have been poached just before serving.

For an oriental twist I put big slices of braising steak in with soy sauce, fish sauce, five spice, leek, chillies, ginger and garlic and leave it for the afternoon. great with rice or noodles. (good with pork too. marinade the pork in pineapple juice over night first)

I like my italian bolognaise type sauce as well in the slow cooker diced venison or wild boar good alternative to best butchers steak mince. Also try BIG meatballs with plenty of parmessan, herbs, diced smoked bacon, pork mince and beef mince, breadcrumbs and eggs to bind. Remember and brown those balls.

I read somewhere about doing a sticky toffee pudding in the slow cooker and a cheesecake but never tried it yet.