What Tractor?

HRG Tree Services

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking of getting one for similar reasons yard use to shift chip about load logs and also process logs.. Maybe a skidsteer would be better? Like a bob cat.. This could also be trailered to jobs? Any thoughts.. Cheers

Two very different machines really. If you do domestic stuff i'd say a skid steer like that little vemeer would be great. Site clearance roadside and estate work, a tractor with a crane on or crane trailer would have the edge.

I was thinking of getting one for similar reasons yard use to shift chip about load logs and also process logs.. Maybe a skidsteer would be better? Like a bob cat.. This could also be trailered to jobs? Any thoughts.. Cheers

How about one of these Baby's! :thumbup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n816GZsk04o]Kramer Allrad 1245 Mini Telehandler - YouTube[/ame]

Ridiculously compact, impressive lift capacity and reach, plus at 2.7 tonne just about trailer legal?

There is a 40hp version with the 3 point linkage and PTO that will do your log splitting, and probably a small chipper?

They are available on 31x15.5x15 flotations too!

Eddie.

Ridiculously compact, impressive lift capacity and reach, plus at 2.7 tonne just about trailer legal?

There is a 40hp version with the 3 point linkage and PTO that will do your log splitting, and probably a small chipper?

They are available on 31x15.5x15 flotations too!

Eddie.

I think it would work out too heavy by the time you put a log grab or pallet forks on it. The 3pl is only a cat one so it limits what you can put on it. Oh they're a big chunk of money too.

Yeah, but it's pretty hopeless as the tractor is 2ft wider than the cut.

A 100HP 4wd tractor with loader will do all you ask well except the mulching. I'd start there and then decide if you really want to do mulching later.

For a yard tractor to run the splitter and move chip, plus do a bit of flail mowing in dry conditions, a 70-90HP International or David Brown will give you the best bang for your buck. Purchase price under £3k, wouldn't be without mine. Makes the same money as an expensive 4WD one working around the yard and on local topping jobs, just got to know it's limits.

I purchased a JD 5500 new from possibly the last Smithfield show, to do all general forestry jobs. I looked at the 60 series at the same time and decided that the 85 Hp of the 55 and the size of the machine suited my requirements better. I promptly fitted a Seppi mulcher from Lamberhurst machinery the the tractors rear. I had specified creep gears.

This machine spent a number of years doing many forestry jobs of which a third was mulching. These were mainly clear-ups from tree safety work but softwood brash, and the odd small stump, from mechanised thinning needed breaking up from time to time and the little JD coped we'll with this type of work. These were mainly to ensure the keepers were kept happy!

I had access to and did hire in Practicality Brown's Ahwi Machine from time to time for bigger jobs but the JD & Seppi was always to hand and proved a very useful part of the tools available.

I would disagree with your opinion doobin, that the width wasn't suitable as I found this combination perfect for a multitude of jobs and a tractor with a wheel track less then 5' would never have powered the mulcher in the first instance! In fact if I'd had anything wider on the back, and I quite my Spearhead swipe, (Like a Bush Hog) as another example at 5' cutting width, many operations would not have been possible in a forestry environment. Too much over-swing and resulting tree scabbing!

codlasher

Are there any 3.5 tonne trailers that weigh 800kg unladen? I know our ifor triaxle weighs 900kg.

I considered a swan neck or 5th wheel trailer for my 110 but never did figure out the legalities and payload.

If you are serious about mulching you will need to guard the thing up. It can be quite brutal on the kit in deep lop and top with sticks trying to stab at just about everything. You will also have to consider junking the ag tyres for proper forestry ones. Also turn the wheel offsets in for minimum width .

Bob

fodentipper014_zps0cfd93ec.jpg