Skyline timber and tree extraction

Mr Ed

I had a contractor subbing to me to do the skylining, he had given me a price (similar to 2 other skyline contractors) but let me down with a weeks notice due to ill health. I had no choice but to buy the yarder myself and crack on. Thats when I discovered all 3 skylining contractors had screwed up badly on the extraction price. We had the cutting time bang on, the chipping right, the tonnage accurate to within 1%. Just underestimated quite how hard it is.

We could have chucked the towel in on the Job, but we learnt huge amounts, and it is looking like the client wants to give us a lot more work, as we did such a good job on this one.

it would of been the easy way out to chuck it edd, urban tree work has spoilt a lot of us, if the job is rubbish it doesnt matter because most jobs are probably a mornings worth, well it is for me, the hardest thing i would find is being away from home, the wife and kids for one and the comforts secondly for sure.

I can only imagine how hard it was being on this job for weeks on end but it REALLY would sort the men from the boys, I did about 5 days on it in total and would have loved to do more but it really is THE most physically demanding job ive ever been apart of, AWESOME to do though!! :001_tt1::001_cool:

i think on jobs like that it is the 'slog' factor that drains you, cables breaking must be a nightmare, especially ones 100's of yards long, yes they are heavy, but if it broke just after you fixed it your morral goes through the floor. i know what it is like being the guy in charge, keeping motivation and spirits high isnt easy, especially when you can see the money floating down the swanny every time their is a breakdown or delay.

It wasn't physically that hard at all as all the jobs on the site had large breaks in between tree movements.

Re-rigging and breakages were a ball ache but again not really hard work.

It was the shear drag of job with all the little up's and down's that drains you. It seemed like we weren't achieving much on a daily basis.

What we realise now is that that is just the reality of skylining, Ed and I both have immense experience in this type of work on dryier sites and had we been able to get a forwarder on this site the job would have been completed in just over a month.

I have alot of respect for Ed for gutting this out when it would have been easy to walk away.

Ultimatly we will reap the rewards of the hardship on this job as it is a great promotion for the kind of works we carry out. It is a talking point in the industry now as removing re-gen from raised peat bogs has been a historically herculean task.

I for one am very proud of what we have achieved, yes it was damn hard at the time but looking back over these photo's and speaking to the client makes me pleased to have been involved.

Topping a conifer hedge in the rain pftt ! Nothing will ever seem so hard again !