January 2015 Biomass RHI payment regression cuts planned

arboriculturist

You might be able to but you have to use an RHI accredited boiler that meets the criteria provided by Ofgem. There are relatively few of them in the 100 -200 Kw capacity. You can build your own kiln, but you still have to use accredited heat meters and stuff plus any pipework has to be insulated to certain criteria as well. Not a walk in the park, but doable I would think.

And yes, so long as we operate the boiler at capacity for the required 1318 hours per annum to achieve tier one payout, the payback time will be around 3 to 4 years for the whole system inc capital and interest.

I have 3 RHI accredited boilers I've been looking at a good friend of mine has been fitting bio mass boilers for ages he is going to over see it. I all ready have the insulated container.

Will not be hard to get 1318 hours out of it as were drying firewood

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've 90KW boiler going it the first week in December, just getting all the paper work sorted, how have you guys sorted burning Arb arisings?

Do you call it Municipal waste?? seem silly really as its actually Virgin timber, but hey whatever ticks the box.

Didn't you phone the helpline number I posted up in that other thread? I didn't find the document that states arb arisings is an eligible source but I recall that it is. Maybe Steve has the link since he's "calling in" arb arising as a fuel source.

My 195Kw boiler/kiln will be completed on Monday.

RHI is paid out for any eligible heat use, which in the context of commercial use is quite wide. The use of a woodfired boiler to kiln dry logs for sale to domestic users is an acceptable form of the use of the heat derived from the boiler. The use of the log by the domestic (or commercial) user is irrelevant. The dried log could be used as a woodfuel in open fires, wood burners, BBQ, Garden Firepits, etc etc it makes no odds as far as the payment of RHI goes to the drying process.

OK, didn't know that, thanks.

Didn't you phone the helpline number I posted up in that other thread? I didn't find the document that states arb arisings is an eligible source but I recall that it is. Maybe Steve has the link since he's "calling in" arb arising as a fuel source.

No, I have a consultant who's doing the paper work, but she has sent me a form and link to guidance, its seems they need a paper trail for where the wood is from, FL, etc.

I'll ring her tomorrow and the number you gave me if she can't help.

Thanks again :001_smile:

No, I have a consultant who's doing the paper work, but she has sent me a form and link to guidance, its seems they need a paper trail for where the wood is from, FL, etc.

I'll ring her tomorrow and the number you gave me if she can't help.

Thanks again :001_smile:

I wish I could track it down, I know I read it but didn't save it.

I wish I could track it down, I know I read it but didn't save it.

Not to worry, thanks for trying :001_smile:

If no one else comes forward with what they have done, I'll make some calls tomorrow and report back.

Arb arisings must be the most sustainable/green fuel there is.

If no one else comes forward with what they have done, I'll make some calls tomorrow and report back.

Agreed!

I think many are discarding (or even worse, paying to discard) what could in fact be a revenue source. Maybe it's a 'scale' thing, I only run part time so I'm not swamped, but either myself or one of the lads (as part payment or adll bonus) take all our log for firewood.

Please do - this seems to be a pretty important (in our game) and currently unquantified position. It is ludicrous to consider that what we produce isn't sustainable and green - I've been hunting around to no avail to find a definitive answer but am not in the immediate position of commissioning an installation.

Please do - this seems to be a pretty important (in our game) and currently unquantified position. It is ludicrous to consider that what we produce isn't sustainable and green - I've been hunting around to no avail to find a definitive answer but am not in the immediate position of commissioning an installation.

Its all on the Ofgem website under Sustainability, BSL registration and self supply. You just have to accept the red tape and do the traceability otherwise your arb waste is worthless in RHI terms.

renewablejohn - thanks!

Skyhuck - I think the info is below -

Basically, it isn't obvious until you actually sign up as a supplier. As you go through the criterion the following paragraph comes up -

Self Supplier Declaration

help

RHI participants will be able to register on the Biomass Suppliers List (BSL) as a ‘self-supplier’ if their installation is less than 1MWth capacity, and if they source fuel (which they have the legal right to source, through ownership, rental or other relevant arrangement) from the same estate as the boiler. Self-suppliers will also be able to source waste woodfuel from outside their estate for use in their installation. For the purposes of self-supply in the BSL, an estate comprises the buildings and supporting land and woods that is owned by, or has the legal rights to source woodfuel (for example through a rental agreement) by, one person, a family, an organisation, a single farm business or a commercial business. The land and buildings may or may not be contiguous but should be within reasonable distance of the boiler. A reasonable distance is defined as follows: the biomass source must be within 50 miles of the boiler.

No more questions your honour...