Start-up vehicle

emcgee

Knew a lad who was gardening and trying to arrange a pickup for business. He found one for around £1200. But before buying, he sought for insurance quotes. Cheapest he was quoted, for business but not full comp, was £2500. He didn't get the truck and is still limited to gardens he can either walk or bus to.

Then he'll never get ahead in business :001_rolleyes:. If he's walking or bussing to gardens, all he needed to improve his range was a small moped. I started like that when I was 16.

Walk before you run springs to mind.

He could even skip the moped and go straight to a small car. What does a gardener who currently walks to a job need a pickup for??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then he'll never get ahead in business :001_rolleyes:. If he's walking or bussing to gardens, all he needed to improve his range was a small moped. I started like that when I was 16.

Walk before you run springs to mind.

He could even skip the moped and go straight to a small car. What does a gardener who currently walks to a job need a pickup for??

AMEN that brother.

When i first dropped out of college, not something i made a habit of- was an outdoor pursuits course. I started gardening, dropping leaflets through doors, used to generate more business than i do now. i had a job just before i passed my test where i had to walk my mower (my mums actually) nearly a mile, via the petrol station to fill it up, to get to a job.

Luckily i passed my test first time and i was away. clippings in a builder bag and then shoved in the car. was alright until i had run over dog eggs. they smelt great in a hot car!!!!

It all depends on what you need it to do.

I started out with an old Sierra Saphire - highly inappropriate, but I already had it, and all it had to do was get me and my saws onto site.

Upgraded (if that's the right word) to a fiat uno for a while then started with 4 wheel drives of all shapes/sizes and costs.

If I needed 4wd and was just starting out, then I'd probably be looking at something like a Jimny as they're cheap, reliable and can tow a reasonable size trailer for what they are.

4wd pickups are OK but tend to be expensive when they break. Landrovers are good but usually quite expensive to buy (in comparison to other stuff) but cheap and easy to fix when they break.

Never had a lot to do with transit type pickups but they look like they get stuck really easily and sound like they're no better on fuel than a 4wd anyway.

It all depends on what you need it to do.

I started out with an old Sierra Saphire - highly inappropriate, but I already had it, and all it had to do was get me and my saws onto site.

Upgraded (if that's the right word) to a fiat uno for a while then started with 4 wheel drives of all shapes/sizes and costs.

If I needed 4wd and was just starting out, then I'd probably be looking at something like a Jimny as they're cheap, reliable and can tow a reasonable size trailer for what they are.

4wd pickups are OK but tend to be expensive when they break. Landrovers are good but usually quite expensive to buy (in comparison to other stuff) but cheap and easy to fix when they break.

Never had a lot to do with transit type pickups but they look like they get stuck really easily and sound like they're no better on fuel than a 4wd anyway.

True that, I started with an SJ413 :thumbup:

Transit type pickups are indeed no better on fuel, but you just can't beat them for a gardening business. With small, quoted garden jobs the key to profit is the number you can get done in a day, so three blokes in the front and and lots of space in the back for the best tools money can buy (and rubbish removal) is a winning combo for me. LDV has been good.

Has the OP even said what line of work he's in??

current one no, last one was arb spec tipper. I only have the truck so I want something presentable also I have more uses for a trailer and never chip so I have a truckman canopy on the truck and an Ifor trailer.

002-4.jpg

001-2.jpg

4 x 4 with big towing capability or single cab with plenty of space in the back really. Need to get into and out the woods 6 days a week. Going with an old hilux for £2000

If you haven't got a clue what vehicle you need are you ready to start on your own?

That's not a dig, it's a fact.

even well established tree firms don't know what vehicle they want/need as there are many threads the arb truck section saying what truck to buy, transit etc or 4x4 or bigger

Can't recommend the Isuzu NKR/grafter range enough. They are like little lorries and pull like trains. The one in the pic below is newish but older ones can be had relatively cheaply and go on and on if they are looked after. IMO they are much better built for tree work than transits etc

IMG_0639.jpg.49f4b9d1f6bbc0986d034236925895e4.jpg

... Walk before you run springs to mind.

... What does a gardener who currently walks to a job need a pickup for?

He'd been garden for over a year to to help pay for the truck. As to why he needs the truck. Wanted to do more mowing, strimming, clearing cluttered garden, etc.