Swine Flu

Highland Forestry

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea thet if you get it now you will be immune is yet another urban myth. People are even allegedly holding 'swine-flu' parties for the purpose of immunising themselves. It is also untrue that the virus will only kill those with underlying health problems, although people who are fit and healthy are less likely to die from it. We will not see the true strength of this virus until autumn comes, as it prefers cool damp air to thrive in. I dont think it is worth taking any risks with this, especially those of us who have children, esp young, who are at school with towny kids- these places are a hotbed of disease, and provide the perfect conditions for a virus such as H1-N1 to thrive.

The idea thet if you get it now you will be immune is yet another urban myth. .

Thats not true mate.

In 1918, those who had the flue in the spring WERE immune in the Autumn.

The reason the authority's don't want people deliberately getting infected, is because some may be more susceptible to it NOW and could die, also if its spread is accelerated by deliberate spread it may become more virulent.

Ive had 18 mounths of chemo, about 3 years ago, that hurt, still canes me, no worries, have to take steroids from time to time, so.... I am strong, imune system is held back,but hell, face life & be aware things can change your outlook real quick, hope this flue doesnt mutate before I get it! ouch!

IMO this media hype does no good whatsoever, worrying folk when there is nothing we can do about it. Typical Government ruse to turn attention away from the economy, and their petty thievery. A handful of deaths from a bug, when many more are killed on our under-funded highways and by-ways every year. Schools closing because of the "risk", taxis refusing to carry passengers who may have been in the area of a case, clubs turning people away in case they may or not be contaminated, mass hysteria gone mad.

IMO this media hype does no good whatsoever, worrying folk when there is nothing we can do about it. Typical Government ruse to turn attention away from the economy, and their petty thievery. A handful of deaths from a bug, when many more are killed on our under-funded highways and by-ways every year. Schools closing because of the "risk", taxis refusing to carry passengers who may have been in the area of a case, clubs turning people away in case they may or not be contaminated, mass hysteria gone mad.

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

:confused1: Come on!!! :confused1:

I for one have been very impressed by the LACK of "mass hysteria"!!

I have not been affected by the reporting of the outbreak in any way.

There is a fine line between panic and apathy, I feel at the moment the general public are walking that line very nicely.

You really are a "glass half empty" kind of guy:thumbdown:

If its not too hot, its media hysteria.

Not at all Dave, I heard the 2 examples of stupid reaction on this mornings local radio news, so I feel vindicated in my comments. Remember the knee-jerk reaction to AIDS/HIV in the 80's, we were all doomed, yet look at the facts in the 21st century. My glass is always full to brimming over.

The working in the heat thread was to make sure people acted and responded to the heat in a sensible manner, and watched out for colleagues in the heat. As it happens, the heat was just about bearable, I didnt slow down at all, just drank more. I wasnt the one who announced on national news that hospitals should be on a Level 3 status due to the heat. So there:001_tongue:

• 3 weeks later...