562 High to filter for 560 .

Stubby

Puttimg the 562XP air filter onto the 560xp and hey presto there is a power increase so the comments made are quite correct.

I highly doubt that, at least with mesh filters - but there is of course a way to find out for sure

If there already is enough air availiable, it doesn't help to make more air availiable.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I highly doubt that, at least with mesh filters - but there is of course a way to find out for sure

If there already is enough air availiable, it doesn't help to make more air availiable.

Yes it does niko, as the opening of the port and vacuum draws the air in, more air availability increases flow speed through the carburettor. The higher velocity will force more mix into the cylinder, thus more power. This may be marginal to most, but it's still a higher charge. The cylinder never gets fully charged, otherwise the port closure would cause back feed, soaking the air filter in fuel. On normal carb saws this would cause a progressive engine flood as the mixture gets ever richer.

Yes it does niko, as the opening of the port and vacuum draws the air in, more air availability increases flow speed through the carburettor. The higher velocity will force more mix into the cylinder, thus more power. This may be marginal to most, but it's still a higher charge. The cylinder never gets fully charged, otherwise the port closure would cause back feed, soaking the air filter in fuel. On normal carb saws this would cause a progressive engine flood as the mixture gets ever richer.

HI EDDY is your 560 ported now mate thanks jon :thumbup:

This all sounds like fighting talk, there is only one way to go.....handbags at dawn....No...No....wrong forum :blushing: Timed cuts, same bit of wood, same saw, same bar different filters.

Lets quantify the improvement, better do three big cookies on each set up and see what is what.

My take on it is that if the filter allows more air through and if the engine can take more air, it will make an improvement.

The air is drawn by the vacuum in the crankcase formed by the piston rising. The limiting factors are the shape of the inlet port, the size of the port, the inlet duration, the choke of the carb, restrictions in manifold sizes and finally.....the air filter.

The engine can draw a FINITE amount of air due to the vacuum formed in the crankcase - I guess this is what Sawtroll was saying.

Removing an air filter does make a difference - I have never cut like this but it does raise the revs significantly so it should have some sort of effect but until it is tested, we don't know by how much!

This should be similar to fitting a larger carb to a machine.

Why have a sticker that says "magnum" on us stihls?

Because it sells.

A bigger filter will definitely be an advantage (it'll probably last longer before its clogged), but not sure you'll see performance gains.

The magnum sticker was used to show the saw had a larger bore (cc) and a more free flowing muffler. Often it also had a larger Venturi carb and massive air filter too.

Now it's used to show the saw has a free flowing muffler. The American magnum saws have a much better outlet size. This is now given the letter Z in the IPL's.

although now I've bought one they'll probably make it available

As predicted, I own one, rang my local dealer today, the high-tops are now available for about £22. The air filter is around £17...

Typical! I got stung by shipping and husky made it UK available!