346xp (50cc) feeling a little tired.

Gerbutt

Muffler mod, open and re-shape the inlet and exhaust ports, reshape the upper transfers, open and flow the lowers a little, muffler mod and lower the squish - it will put a smile on your face and go like a scalded cat:thumbup:

I also make sure the engine is airtight and make sure the piston and bore are in good shape whilst I am at it plus the fuel system gets a going over - bit like an indepth service with some heavy modification!

I can vouch for this. My 357 has has Spud's best work done and it's just brilliant. It pulls an 18" bar great. I've put a 15" bar with an 8t sprocket and it's mental. Overkill probably, but that's why you get a saw ported I guess. You won't regret it.

I might mention that you'll also get your saw back cleaner than Richard Hammond's teeth.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good comparison, get your car chipped and what would the insurance company say should something happen?

You pay money to your insurance company to cover you for a set circumstance and if you move the goal post it is your responsibility. HSE doesn't take anything from you or ask if your saw is modified they just monitor your working practises to ascertain how you cut your leg off not what you were using to do it.

This is one reason why dealers on the whole do not get involved in modding.

It is just too much of a risk to take. IF there is an accident due to a non standard saw, the saw may well go back to the manufacturer, but once found to be non compliant the manufacturer will be able to wash their hands of any liability.

The dealer would then have to take sole liability and try to prove that the accident was not due to the extra power produced by the modding.

It could get very messy in this modern litigation society, and insurance companies may also take the opportunity to back out.

Its all OK until something goes wrong and there is an investigation. The person who carried out the mods could be in deep water.

All these things are OK until the day something happens.

This is one reason why dealers on the whole do not get involved in modding.

It is just too much of a risk to take. IF there is an accident due to a non standard saw, the saw may well go back to the manufacturer, but once found to be non compliant the manufacturer will be able to wash their hands of any liability.

The dealer would then have to take sole liability and try to prove that the accident was not due to the extra power produced by the modding.

It could get very messy in this modern litigation society, and insurance companies may also take the opportunity to back out.

Its all OK until something goes wrong and there is an investigation. The person who carried out the mods could be in deep water.

All these things are OK until the day something happens.

A difficult one as I have never been in this position but the modification I do isn't illegal and breaks no laws. Can or will it injure - the chain speed is unlikely to come out of the maximum free-standing speed of something like a 242XP, the power of say a 346XP will be nowhere near that of a MS660, the torque of a 346XP will be nowhere near a MS660 so it isn't as if I am making something operate out of normal conditions.

I guess I could or should get a document to state it is a modified saw and as such may not meet the original CE markings or safety requirements of the original saw but it gets to that crunchy area where you think...bollocks, it isn't worth it anymore!

One to ponder on I guess!

the modification I do isn't illegal and breaks no laws.

Absolutely correct Steve, nobody is going to come along and arrest you for modding a saw.

But ponder this scenario.

Just say an accident with a modded saw occurs due to kick back, and the chainbrake is just a little slow in stopping the chain. This could be blamed on the chain speed and torque of the modded saw exceeding the design parameters of the factory standard chain brake.

The manufacturer will be off the hook, but the casualty (or worse still, his widow) is looking for someone to blame.

Just saying.

Absolutely correct Steve, nobody is going to come along and arrest you for modding a saw.

Just say an accident with a modded saw occurs due to kick back, and the chainbrake is just a little slow in stopping the chain. This could be blamed on the chain speed and torque of the modded saw exceeding the design parameters of the factory standard chain brake.

The manufacturer will be off the hook, but the casualty (or worse still, his widow) is looking for someone to blame.

Just saying.

I think there is less likelihood of a kick back with a faster chain but if it did the brake would come on even quicker I some how feel ....

Just saying.

That's why you put a carving bar and 1/4" chain on your modded saw. That and the fact it makes it even more ridiculously fantastically brilliant.

I think there is less likelihood of a kick back with a faster chain but if it did the brake would come on even quicker I some how feel ....

It may indeed come on a bit quicker (more inertia), but will it have sufficient spring tension and surface area to brake the chain?

Bigger saws have bigger bands and drums for this reason.

Just thoughts, not trying to argue.

It may indeed come on a bit quicker (more inertia), but will it have sufficient spring tension and surface area to brake the chain?

Bigger saws have bigger bands and drums for this reason.

Just thoughts, not trying to argue.

Hey Garden ...all friends here bud ! :001_smile:

OK, so we know what the worst case scenario is......what is the solution, guys want their saws modded, I am happy to do this but don't fancy a law suit. This type of work is big in the US and that is litigation country.

What do I do......stop................carry on and take the risk................get the owner to sign away any liabillity???

What is both ethical and fair - what would you do????