Heat transfer

simonm

What really surprised me about the Burley when we fitted it a year ago was just how well the heat spread throughout the house.

OK, the room it was going in had double doors (which we have since removed completely) which opened in to a central hallway, so there was always the potential to distribute the heat out a bit, but I was still very pleased with just how well it done it. No fans, no ducts, nothing.

The existing central heating is essentially obsolete.

I find the opposite! Got an old house with thick walls, and an old Villager stove in the living room. Living room is like an oven, but the rest of the house stays fairly cold. I think there's a draft blowing into the living room (front door near by) so air moves into the living room rather than out of it. Did try a fan, but it still didn't spread much heat out of the living room.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe a tad!👍

The calculation might be easy, but as usual, putting it into practice seldom is. A big part of my issue is the ventilation required by building regs ( soffit vents, block work vents, air bricks) all this on a very exposed site. Fine in summer.

Time to get the silicone out!

Have exactly the same problem. I used packing tape for a while but not the most attractive. I am looking at cowls for the soffit outlets which according to my electrician improve things.

Living in a radon producing area unfortunately we need the under floor vents.

One thing you can do if you have suspended floors is to install under floor heating pipes between the joists. 50 mm of celotex under them to trap the heat and it will work well. I used

20mm poly prop pipe which gives off about 10 w per metre. I run this off a 'T' between my modified Rayburn and hot water tank. A small pump to circulate and all good. Before this the Rayburn used to boil the water so we had to run it to waste. Nice warm floors to walk on after a few hours.

I find the opposite! Got an old house with thick walls, and an old Villager stove in the living room. Living room is like an oven, but the rest of the house stays fairly cold.

Maybe the funny looking little holes along the top of the Burley that are supposed to stimulate movement of air actually do what they're supposed to then.

Whatever way, their stoves just do a terrific job and that's why the people who own them rave about them.