Throwing money at old saws

deezyboy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just trying to point out other issues rather that leaking seals can cause engine seizures

And your info is all correct - my seals comment was just based on the age of a 181SE and that the seal on the clutch side is likely to be a bit shabby by now but could be a dirty carb, fuel line, blocked tank breather etc etc

All good advice and I wasn't knocking what you said:thumbup:

That's what someone at work thought also, and gave me a dead arm for being so stupid!

The guy is goin to repair it and just charge price of the parts, I will put a smaller bar on it and bite the bullet and buy either a 661 or 395. Just a good job it's October and not December!

That's what someone at work thought also, and gave me a dead arm for being so stupid!

The guy is goin to repair it and just charge price of the parts, I will put a smaller bar on it and bite the bullet and buy either a 661 or 395. Just a good job it's October and not December!

If he doesn't find out why it seized in the first place and sort that out first then you may as well just throw your money in the bin and save everyone the hassle

Have to agree with all of the comments, rebuild with the same underlying problem and it will seize again, he needs to do a vacum test on the crankcase, strip and clean the carb, test the tank breather, check the filter in the tank, check the fuel hose for splits or cracks, check the engine rpm with a taco 12500 is about right, make sure it is a dry seizure and not bearings breaking up, the early 181 had two different size bearings, the flywheel side was smaller, make sure this is not spinning in the crankcase, make sure the baffle in the mufffler is not breaking up, i know this is quite a list but if you do not want it to seize again.