Throwing money at old saws

deezyboy

Piston went in my 181, replaced at a cost if £140, then was having carb problems so all new diaphragms and rebuilt carb came to £60, saw was running lovely, warmed up through some small logs, bigger logs thn cut through a bit of oak with the whole 28 inch bar on and it conked out, my guy has stripped it down and it has seized te piston ring into te cylinder on the exhaust side, the guy is recommending I repair it but put a smaller bar on it, but 28 inches is fine on an 81cc saw unless ex has fitted the wrong size piston? May I add he does a lot if saws but more domestic and this is the biggest saw that he has worked on.

I'm in two minds to chuck it and buy a new 90cc saw say a 661 etc or pay another £140 and try my luck?

What would you do?

This post is probably difficult I read but it has been a long week!

Cheers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he using genuine parts or pattern? There have been issues with rings on the chinese pattern parts (I haven't had any, but I have heard of them failing).

How many tankfuls between the first failure and the most recent? If it's not many, it suggests you may have an underlying problem that hasn't been diagnosed. Has it been pressure/vac tested?

Alec

I would imagine Chinese parts, charged £140 for all parts and labour to put the new piston in.

Only warmed the saw up gradually and did one cut in a big bit of oak and that was it! He's a good bloke and fixed my 200t after it got completely smashed, but I can't help think it's his error. He is saying a way to possibly fix it is to alter the fuel mix etc. I know the very basics but after that I am lost when it comes to engines.

Not sure whether to have it repaired elsewhere or give him the chance to fix what I believe is his mistake?

As said above . If you have an air leak from where ever you can put OEM parts in or cheap Chinese pattern pars in It will fail again . . Find the cause and fix that first .

Yes - and a proper saw mechanic wouldn't put a new top end on a saw unless the cause for the failure of the original has been diagnosed and fixed.

There's two issues here.

Firstly, if you do a bit of work with the big saw, get a new one.

Secondly, open a human dialogue with your mate and express how you feel about the situation. Not what you think, what you feel. This way you will exorcise your hurt, anger, annoyance, without dumping it directly on him and eliciting an automatic defensive response.

Got the same dilema with me trusted top handled been faultless for nigh on 4 years now and giving me a bit of grief had a look at it myself and have decided to bin it and buy a brand new one as it will pay for itself in the first couple of days work

Cheers Essexlogman!

Piston went in my 181, replaced at a cost if £140, then was having carb problems so all new diaphragms and rebuilt carb came to £60, saw was running lovely, warmed up through some small logs, bigger logs thn cut through a bit of oak with the whole 28 inch bar on and it conked out, my guy has stripped it down and it has seized te piston ring into te cylinder on the exhaust side, the guy is recommending I repair it but put a smaller bar on it, but 28 inches is fine on an 81cc saw unless ex has fitted the wrong size piston? May I add he does a lot if saws but more domestic and this is the biggest saw that he has worked on.

I'm in two minds to chuck it and buy a new 90cc saw say a 661 etc or pay another £140 and try my luck?

What would you do?

This post is probably difficult I read but it has been a long week!

Cheers