Wet Weather Mower

chrisj

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a Honda HRX 476 Roller. Performance is very good and it only wieghs 45KG. Its fast poweful and picks up well in the wet almost filling the box if you keep the blade sharp. I would only buy from good local dealer as warranty will be used on drive issues. I like the Honda just wish they built the drive to from tougher stuff. I dont like the 536 as they weigh 60KG and gearbox wears very quickly and very expensive to replace it also clunky & rough to use.

Yes if I went for the Honda it's the HRX476 I'd go for. I'm just shopping around though because my Honda HRB is a pain blocking if the grass is wet, and where I am it's often wet.

I'm liking the look of the Viking MB755 though. Hmmm choices, choices.

Been using a HRX476CQXE this year and happy with the performance. Got a HRD536 QXE as well and had to replace the gearbox and new axle which was pretty sore on the budget.

The HRX is much lighter and manoeuvrable but the HRD is superior on longer wetter grass. I also use the leaf blower to remove some of the water. Both Hondas are better for working on than my Hayters which have been relegated to backups now.

As the weather hasn't been great for cutting the last few weeks I am also using the ride on to lift some of the longer grass prior to finishing with the pedestrian mowers. Just got to watch I don't go into the softer areas.

As for using the drive on hard surfaces, for me this is a no no. I just lift the back roller slightly and push to the next lawn.

I've seen people mention Sarp Ariens and Weibeng in other threads. Unfortunately I don't have a dealer in my area that carries Sarp or Ariens and I'd rather buy from a (relatively) local dealer for the backup than buy a mower on-line. There is a dealer that lists Weibeng though so that's worth a look.

I used a 4 wheel rather than roller mower Gnome so I don't have to worry about damage to the roller from hard surfaces. I'm sure lifting the roller / rear wheels works fine for you. In my case I'm not moving from one lawn to another. As I say I'm in the mountains and have very steep access to many of my gardens. eg. at one client I have 30m down a 1 in 4 to get to the lawn and 30m up the hill to get back out. So driving the mower out makes a huge difference.

I'm hearing a lot of people mentioning drive problems on newer Hondas which is putting me off going for another Honda even for normal use, let alone for me that needs to be able to drive it around.