What are you burning

mickdundee

burning a lot of ash at the min mixed with some hawthorn and beach and larch I think, not sure on that one.

a lot of old knarly stuff that I could,nt split with a axe, but now me splitter is running ive a load of odd shaped pieces. ( just like the tetris game, as mentioned.

got about 10t of ash and 4t of beach, should last me a couple of years.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It tickles me that all you firewood guys burn rubbish! A real case of the cobblers shoes.. However I would probably be the same if I got to the stage where I had enough wood to sell! I think people are too fussy about wood, me included sometimes! I gave away a load of cherry last week becuase quite a bit had ivy on.

Last 6 or 7 years mainly knotty holm oak, Bay, hazel, yew , opepe, some driftwood conifer & long dead elm, this year nearly all laburnham.... But will run out by January probably I think...

Kiln dry spruce & pine joinery/furniture offcuts for kindling most of the time..{everything else just isn't as good.}

Need another standing dead elm or sun bleached driftwood conifer or 2 really.

spiral

Yeah well it all burns I guess! I was thinking about the wrath I would endure as bits fell off onto the carpet when I brought it inside next winter

A lot of the windfall stuff I got last year was covered in ivy. By time it's been handled into, out of van, ringed up, split then stacked you won't be taking much into the house to fall off mate. It usually falls off pretty easy anyway once it's been dead a while

Off on a bit of a tangent but did others notice the same ref windfall that had a bad ivy problem. A lot of the road blockages maybe could have been avoided if various landowners and councils looked after their trees

Edited by mickdundee
Added bottom paragraph

Ivy acts as a sail it doesn't weaken the tree in a pathogen kind of way it weakens it structurally. The trees roots act as an anchor in a prevailing wind it'll put on more growth the strengthen the itself but when ivy becomes prominent the tree has no idea what's going on so it can't react to the extra force that mother nature is putting on its roots/anchor obviously in extreme cases (storms) the tree isn't prepared in any way which is why you're seeing them in your log store . In real extreme cases it can smother the tree but 9 times out of 10 the tree can still survive.

I seen many a field ash go over I also seen trees which I thought would fail stand up in the bad winds we had. If I'm being honest it's very hard to predict which trees will fail unless it very obvious like fruting bodies and signs of cavities

I took out a few dougles firs at cragside at rothbury these trees were 180 foot they were tomographed being a national trust site and being next to an important building they did it properly and these trees were identified to have been Decayed in the middle. We were instructed to strip them out and leave as poles but I was informed these firs were sound when they were felled. Just trying to say you can go to every lenght to avoid carnage but these trees are living things some are very resilient to winds even though they appear weak and and vice versa to perfectly looking trees it's us professionals that make the decisions and sometimes it's impossible.

Oh I've got cherry bit of ash,sycamore and those big blocks that come off pallets :thumbup:

image.jpg.8d304f5b7fed993a72bd4f60918f4d17.jpg