Level 6 Diploma In Arboriculture (ABC) Industry Rejection???

hokum93

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made some phone calls today and have the following new information.

1. C.I.F. The old style Pro Dip Arb carried 7 points towards professional chartered status. Initially with the change to ABC a rough calculation was made on its value and 4 points were allocated. Recently they made a request to ABC for more info on hours needed and levels each unit carries and made a new calculation which only gives 3 points. Treelife have complained about this down grading and the CIF are making more investigations. For now anyone who has achieved the qualification or is currently studying will receive 4 points. Any one joining in the future will get only 3 unless appeals over turn this decission.

2. I spoke to the RFS as they have updated their website and no longer make reference to the L6 qualification. The reason they gave for this is that Pro Dip was a RFS course, the ABC version is not. It seems that people who have the ABC qualification are claiming it is the RFS qualification. The RFS acknowledge that the ABC course is part of the QCF and therefore legitimate. Their logo appears on the diploma for now but they state that they are in discussion with ABC and state that they are free to remove their endorsement from the qualification at any point that they choose.

Personally I feel that all of these issues should have been raised and clarified before the qualification was offered to colleges to teach. It is the learners who pay for their education and devote the almost uncountable hours into completing their portfolios. Learners should feel proud of their achievement and hold diplomas of value. We should not be facing these uncertainties 3 years after the qualification started, it is making a mockery of all our hard endeavors.

I did my tech cert (the old one) a few years back, and I was also looking at moving forward on to the L6, mainly because it was only 2yr and cheaper then a degree but if the qualification doesn't carry much weight within the industry, think I will wait for the outcome on this one.

Has one else compared this to the online degrees?

2. I spoke to the RFS as they have updated their website and no longer make reference to the L6 qualification. The reason they gave for this is that Pro Dip was a RFS course, the ABC version is not. It seems that people who have the ABC qualification are claiming it is the RFS qualification. The RFS acknowledge that the ABC course is part of the QCF and therefore legitimate. Their logo appears on the diploma for now but they state that they are in discussion with ABC and state that they are free to remove their endorsement from the qualification at any point that they choose.

Thanks for finding out that info. Im peeved at this whole thing if im honest. Im not a fan of the way the L6 is laid out in the first place but I did think it was excellent as far as education goes. But to hear this is ridiculous. Thanks once again mate.

What didn't you like about it?

Its not that I didn't like it I just wasn't a fan of the re-sub format. Working long hours (50+ easy) and trying to balance a family life while studying is difficult enough. Trying all that but then having to resubmit stuff while trying to get the new set of work done in the short time allocated inevitably puts you behind which is frustrating and unnecessary IMHO.The lecturers were sometimes asked what they want and the answer would be "have a crack if its wrong you can re-sub it". :sneaky2::confused1: I DON'T HAVE TIME TO RE-SUB. That layout leaves you playing catch up from day 1. Most people didn't mind the re-sub thing but I found the ones who didn't mind it usually didn't work the hours I did. The course is excellent though and really does educate to an excellent standard. Just my experience but I'm sure many will disagree. :thumbup: