Glyphosate Crossing Through Roots

monkeybusiness

and the owner wishes to replant shrubs around but not bother with stump grinding.

Cheers for the comments, much appreciated.

NEVER grind out stumps belonging to a tight group of trees, or next time instead of killing the trees, you could have one blow over, saying that if you have to grind, get the client to sign a dsiclaimer..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time I have ever heard of glysopate killing adjacent trees and we have poisoned hundreds over the years, never had any angry calls, yet.

I would of thought a quick spray on the stump wouldnt be enough to affect other trees.

Something worth bearing in mind for the future though. :001_smile:

The root graft scenerio may be very likely.

Glyphosate transfer - questionable.

You listed the percentage, but what about the percentage of active ingredient, and the percentage a percentage of the percentage, if you know what I mean?

How much did you pour into a crack or holes? A half gallon? Ounce? Misting?

I'd be very suprised if the rooots of all three beech HAD NOT GRAFTED sorry to tell you

A very fair point, and I take on board what you say about the chances of regrowth. Does this mean you never poison stumps if root plates overlap? How do the forestry boys seem to get away with it then?

I am fully aware of how Glyphosate translocates, and how Beech grafts in general. Have I been unlucky, or plain stupid?!?

With regards tree health, all 3 were excellent before I wrecked everything, no signs of fungus or stress etc.

As for quantities, it was a 20% mixture sprayed into a chainsaw-scored (maybe 5mm deep) groove around the cambium around the complete circumference of the tree, but only a quick spray, not to run off. Prob 50-100ml total, ie 10-20ml glyphosate per tree (which to be fair makes it sound like a lot when you work it out...).

I have to say it's a bit of a disaster, and I will give serious thought to stump poisoning in the future.

As an aside, the manufacturers' expert told me that Glyphos (the actual brand I used) has an extremely short life in soil, and used correctly it is possible to spray off a stubble field and then re-seed 6 HOURS later!

"....As an aside, the manufacturers' expert told me that Glyphos (the actual brand I used) has an extremely short life in soil, and used correctly it is possible to spray off a stubble field and then re-seed 6 HOURS later! ..."

Listening to the Bartletts experts very recently, they were unequivocal in their suspicions that glyphosate.., how should I put this to best reflect their advice?...may not behave in all cases as the manufacturers claim with regards its inactivity on contact with organic soil matter. In particular I remember being made aware of "accumulation" levels of the stuff in trees....This kind of issue is by its nature quite tricky to prove as it will typically manifest itself much later......

"....As an aside, the manufacturers' expert told me that Glyphos (the actual brand I used) has an extremely short life in soil, and used correctly it is possible to spray off a stubble field and then re-seed 6 HOURS later! ..."

Listening to the Bartletts experts very recently, they were unequivocal in their suspicions that glyphosate.., how should I put this to best reflect their advice?...may not behave in all cases as the manufacturers claim with regards its inactivity on contact with organic soil matter. In particular I remember being made aware of "accumulation" levels of the stuff in trees....This kind of issue is by its nature quite tricky to prove as it will typically manifest itself much later......

I wonder even now if I got that right.....:sad:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/4846-glyphosate-trees.html