Rats!

IanW

Its always worrying to me when people specify what sort of poison they use just by the colour then people wonder why people want stricter rules on poisons. The colour is irrelevant the active ingredient is the thing to look at.

There's no need for that Jon,ive been poisoning rats for more than 50 years,and i only wrote about the colour as most second generation wheat based baits are either blue or red,and usually alternated from time to time when laying.

These contain Difenacoum,and ime as responsible as anyone when it comes to poisons.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot a few rats in the garden they come for chicken feed. I've sat in the garden with the fire pit on wih friends and chucked a burnt sausage down off the BBQ and seen them come out in front of us all. Also put cage traps out and if I think the numbers are getting up again I use slaymore. I bought it in the small bags. Just kept replacing the bags until it stopped being eaten. That finishes them until the next lot move in

There's no need for that Jon,ive been poisoning rats for more than 50 years,and i only wrote about the colour as most second generation wheat based baits are either blue or red,and usually alternated from time to time when laying.

These contain Difenacoum,and ime as responsible as anyone when it comes to poisons.

Well sorry but it just doesn't sound good. And if your using difenacoum then thats not the most potent poison on the market. There should be no need to alternate.

Some years ago my wife had long haired miniature dachshund. Very good pedigree, small even by miniature standards but could have been a real show winner. My workshop was on a farm back then and after work I used to go ratting with the dash about and my springer. There used to be a corn store that had an exit hole at the end of a beam. I used to knock the rats off the beam for the dogs with a long piece of wood, the little dachshund had killed dozens at rats before it was a year old. My mate who owned a jack Russell was a little sceptical about the dachshunds ratting ability so one evening we took the dogs in the corn store. Dog either side of a bag against the wall so there was a rat behind it. Suddenly the dach yelped and jumped back for a second then went unusually mad barking etc. We moved the bag and it caught and killed the rat. My mate said he had never seen a dog kill a rat with so much aggression. After the dust had settled we examined her to see why she yelped. The rat had bitten the end of the dogs nose and a piece of it was flapping. My mate pressed it back with a trowel and it healed fine, not sure if the amateur surgery helped but it seemed funny at the time.

when I was a teen we used to shoot them in an old piggery with an airgun and spotlight

shot at one running along the rafters one night and somehow it landed on the back of my neck and dug its 4 claws in -been scared of them ever since, thank goodness never seen one since moving here 25 years ago

Years ago I was with a pal of mine early one sunday morning,and as we talked i followed him into a dark shed where he kept his chicken feed pellets in a wooden barrel.

As he scooped out a hod full of pellets in the semi darkness,he shouted and a rat was hanging off the underside of his outstretched arm.

He was a tough partner but that rattled him for a minute.

Gone now,but we often used to remember that morning.

Years ago I was with a pal of mine early one sunday morning,and as we talked i followed him into a dark shed where he kept his chicken feed pellets in a wooden barrel.

As he scooped out a hod full of pellets in the semi darkness,he shouted and a rat was hanging off the underside of his outstretched arm.

He was a tough partner but that rattled him for a minute.

Gone now,but we often used to remember that morning.

Hi OWC that sounds great mate :lol::lol:thanks Jon