Roundup to be banned in the UK, ?

SteveA

Sorry to disagree but where are you getting this junk??

It quite clearly states the website at the top of my post.

I think that you mis understand my point which is that I agree that by taking the active ingredients from a natural product and copying them in a lab, you are achieving the same effect

Aspirin copied from willow inspired salicylic acid manufactured in a lab is just a pill which millions of people take, and although it is a chemical it is not described as such in the same way that agricultural chemicals are.

I refer again to the pyrethroids from chrysanthemum which is no different to the aspirin story but as soon as it appears as an agricultural pesticide it falls into a different category of something terrible, silent spring, farmers killing all wildlife, ripping up hedges and all the same old stuff.

At least we farmers have to abide by many regulations about staying away from water courses, safe disposal of containers, safety gear etc. the housewife pours thousands of gallons of bleach down the loos each year which is unregulated and must end up in the ecosystem at some point.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billhook, thank you, a point I have attempted to make for many years, particularly in respect of some of the yummy mummies with sickly ashmetic children, who choose to blame "them farmers with their chemicals" whilst dowsing themselves, their children and houses in numerous chemicals, for myriad reasons, and running to the Dr. for antibiotics for every childhood sniffle.

marcus

Folic acid in cabbage is the same as folic acid in the pills given to pregnant women to prevent spina bifida. End of story.

Go eat some cabbage then, you'd be doing me a favour.

I'm selling cabbage today at the same price I was getting 20 years ago. How is that supposed to work? :(

I neather agree or disagree with what your saying. But people often blame products such as glyphosate without thinking of their own environmental impact. For example, the computer or phone you wrote this post on, had to be manufactured, by various industrial processes, the power needed to recharge it has to be produced, and finally it has to be disposed of. All of this is not going to do the environment any good.

I'm not saying the buck stops with banning Roundup, but it's certainly high on the list.

Also, it's more of a case of weening ourselves out of a massive problem rather than banning everything overnight all at once.

The loss of habitat, etc is staggering and either we change attitudes & methods or..... :thumbdown:

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick.

As a society we are addicted to cheap food. Veg in the shops at less than I can grow it for and milk cheaper than water. We then get the farming methods required to deliver that. Can't see the politicians increasing the price of food anytime soon though. Also can't see any reason to ban roundup when like most herbicides, it's pretty harmless. But pesticides can be a different matter.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick.

As a society we are addicted to cheap food. Veg in the shops at less than I can grow it for and milk cheaper than water. We then get the farming methods required to deliver that. Can't see the politicians increasing the price of food anytime soon though. Also can't see any reason to ban roundup when like most herbicides, it's pretty harmless. But pesticides can be a different matter.

Since when did politicians set the price of food???

They set food policy (or rather food companies set the political agenda) but the change towards cheap food is fixed in our psyche so anything that added to the price of food eg tax on refined carbs, tax on saturated fats, producer pays for costs of obesity etc is never going to happen. The first action of the coalition government was to water down food enforcement legislation. We haven't even got the traffic lights warnings on food enforced.