"Finn Cut"

Mike Hill

That's a handy cut to know! A few of the younger pups sometimes show this old dog some new tricks, after doing their CS30/31, I did my CS 10/11 well over 10 years ago!

just a couple of questions, whats the benefit of removing the cambium layer before the sloping back cut, is it necessary?

Also, would this cut work safely if the tree was under tension ie, if it was being winched to a leaning position in order to miss a target? I have done this before and had a bit of a barbers chair incident, not nice, so this cut will defo be put into the memory bank.

Thanks for sharing.

J

Also, would this cut work safely if the tree was under tension ie, if it was being winched to a leaning position in order to miss a target? I have done this before and had a bit of a barbers chair incident, not nice, so this cut will defo be put into the memory bank.

Thanks for sharing.

J

In that situation I would also recommend that you put ratchet straps round the trunk to prevent the barbers chair.

That's a handy cut to know! A few of the younger pups sometimes show this old dog some new tricks, after doing their CS30/31, I did my CS 10/11 well over 10 years ago!

just a couple of questions, whats the benefit of removing the cambium layer before the sloping back cut, is it necessary?

Thanks for sharing.

J

if your winching then you can control the tension, some tighten the winch too much, i just take the weight first and cut and as it starts to close on the cut just keep going with the winch at the same rate, if you are scared it will break off the hinge then put the pulling rope lower so it pulls it over quicker, so when its back upright and starts to fall, gun it with the winch and it will slap it over. be the tree. stand out in the garden with a rope around you and have someone pull on it, move it up and down and create more force, try moving from left to right, stand on either leg. you will learn a lot from this simple demo, too many folk fell from the wrong side first because they just prefer either the pushing or pulling side of the chain. you always want to leave the holding wood last. but i think it doesnt matter on young sycamore, just cut to the hinge quickly and let it go itself, the minute you add pull the hinge will go.:ohmy::001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Great vid there mike. Use the dog tooth fairly often recently especially working a load of sycamore on a steep slopre, many of which were leaning. Could've done with the finn cut on many of the smaller ones.

Rowden, that spear cut, although unconventional, is extremely useful, esp on taking out leylandii hedges!!