Auger as ground anchor

AHPP

I need a ground anchor to winch from and the available ones ( http://milspecanchors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Allied-Bolt-Mozilla-Firefox-7122012-95246-AM.bmp.jpg ) look a lot like augers. I have a 2 stroke post hole borer with 4"/6" auger. Normally the earth lifts out as the auger turns itself in, which is what you normally want. But is it possible to apply downward pressure and screw the auger in without loosening the soil (leaving you with a soundly buried auger anchor). I'd give it a go myself but the tool is 300 miles away and I need to know to whether to order the made-for-purpose ground anchor or not.

I often use a hand auger as an anchor for winching stuff.

Dunno about the petrol ones but my 5" hand auger will not move. I've put loads of stress on mine (winch safety pin snapped before auger moved, fully loaded landy on good tires just slid and yet the auger does not move)

Do be careful about soil type though, we have a lot of clay so good anchorage but I use a bigger one (8" ) for loose soils and team them up together on peaty soil.

I need a ground anchor to winch from and the available ones ( http://milspecanchors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Allied-Bolt-Mozilla-Firefox-7122012-95246-AM.bmp.jpg ) look a lot like augers. I have a 2 stroke post hole borer with 4"/6" auger. Normally the earth lifts out as the auger turns itself in, which is what you normally want. But is it possible to apply downward pressure and screw the auger in without loosening the soil (leaving you with a soundly buried auger anchor). I'd give it a go myself but the tool is 300 miles away and I need to know to whether to order the made-for-purpose ground anchor or not.

The borers auger is designed to lift material out, I suspect a re design might be needed. As soon as it stops making forward progress it will want to lift material out so a short "flight length" on a long shaft would be better.

Oh and your borer only goes one way so it wont wind the "anchor" out. Make them sacrificial or make provision to extract it.

I often use a hand auger as an anchor for winching stuff.

Dunno about the petrol ones but my 5" hand auger will not move. I've put loads of stress on mine (winch safety pin snapped before auger moved, fully loaded landy on good tires just slid and yet the auger does not move)

Do be careful about soil type though, we have a lot of clay so good anchorage but I use a bigger one (8" ) for loose soils and team them up together on peaty soil.

The borers auger is designed to lift material out, I suspect a re design might be needed. As soon as it stops making forward progress it will want to lift material out so a short "flight length" on a long shaft would be better.

Oh and your borer only goes one way so it wont wind the "anchor" out. Make them sacrificial or make provision to extract it.

Thanks for replies, both. So are auger bits that are designed to be hand driven different to those designed to be machine driven? I suspect this may come down to how many times the helix repeats;

1 revolution = won't extract soil, good anchor

helix continues up shaft = will extract soil turning it in