Limb Walking - that old chestnut. (Oak in this case!)

sime42

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a thought, haven't found a circumstance where I've considered using it but interested in what others might think, what about a system of support to the branch you are walking on rigged to a stronger branch above? Granted, it wouldn't prevent the branch tip beyond the support system from breaking, but it could perhaps ameliorate the potential of the branch failing at the stem union.

Er, brain fart! On reflection, if there was a branch above suitable to brace the limb you're walking on, you'd be better having an anchour / redirect on it and reduce the climbers weight on the branch below

Another option, climb it SRT and use redirects to reduce pendulum swing :)

That's what I wanted to say Arran but I was too scared.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

Heaven forbid someone suggesting SRT!

I avoided it this morning :D

Seriously though, it is a good option, especially where you can redirect and be working from an anchor that's above your working position.

In this case, you could also spread your load over multiple points to reduce strain on individual branches that you might be concerned about their integrity.

Don't forget you can always use other end of your rope if your strop is too short, or as a second anchor to triangulate so it's not such a direct swing into stem if the tree allows.

I always have a spare prussik on my harness for this, easy and quick to whip on and off even if you don't normally climb on prussik. Also good to have for rescues.

I find that when a branch does give it very rarely parts company with the tree entirely so I wouldn't worry too much about one tearing you in half.

the swings the thing to watch but as others have said a well positioned second line or lanyard or a redirect from above will reduce this - whether srt or not

Thanks guys for all your thoughts, some good ideas and advice. I feel re-assured that there doesn't seem to be anything obvious that I've missed.

Looking at the picture, you should not have a problem with branch snapping when you are out in a pruning position.

As you gain more experience you'll improve your technique but also learn how much a branch can bear.

Also, don't branch walk backwards. By going forwards on the way out you can hold onto branches for stability.

OMTC - I find it difficult to walk forwards as the attachment point on my harness is on the front. I tend to walk sides ways, crab style. I find that works well, I can still lean back into the line and grab branches as well.

It's been mentioned but a high, sound anchor point and a good long lanyard will help tremendously; look at re-directing your climbing line to reduce the swing if and when it fails.

Also take a couple of slings with you for increasing the foot holds, larks hitch it around the branch and hey presto a foot hold where none existed.

AG - Good idea with the slings for footholds. I've not tried that so will try to remember next time. Also I forgot to mention that I was actually using a redirect. That always helps. The only problem is that sometimes the friction gets a bit too much with both ropes going through the same Bina, (I use DRT). Obviously using a separate one for each rope will resolve this, I hadn't thought of this so I'll be trying that next time as well.

Having looked at the photo again, a redirect would definitely have helped; a small sling with a couple of karabiners for each line.

I think someone suggested that SRT makes re-directing easier. Can someone explain this please? Because I've always found it easy enough with DRT, especially if I use two binas as previously mentioned.

I find that when a branch does give it very rarely parts company with the tree entirely so I wouldn't worry too much about one tearing you in half.

the swings the thing to watch but as others have said a well positioned second line or lanyard or a redirect from above will reduce this - whether srt or not

Dean - At one point I used a second lifeline, from a second tree next door. I figured that this should reduce the swing in a bit, but more importantly I would not swing in directly to the trunk but in between both trees instead.

I admit that I don't normally use two life lines. Contrary to what they teach you on the NPTC courses!