Where to cut own firewood?

Arif

Hi Collective,

There seem to be quite a few examples of people cutting their own firewood, as private individuals, for their own homes. Now - is this always where someone owns & lives on a forest or wood - or is there/are there other places people are going to cut their own firewood? I guess the nearest analogy is pick-your-own-strawberries.

Arif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Collective,

There seem to be quite a few examples of people cutting their own firewood, as private individuals, for their own homes. Now - is this always where someone owns & lives on a forest or wood - or is there/are there other places people are going to cut their own firewood? I guess the nearest analogy is pick-your-own-strawberries.

Arif

Nowhere like a cut your own exits to my knowledge, the thought of letting untrained hands onto a chainsaw is probably something company insurers would not be prepared to cover.

Assuming you want logs for this winter put a request out here stating where you are in the country roughly and how much you want. We have members from most of the country here that could help.

In the future you may be able to buy timber and process it yourself from members here or from local arb companies. What you cant do (legally at least) is wander down the sides of roads collecting fallen branches, they belong to the landowner who owns the tree.

A

I know there are places in Canada that you can cut wood for free, 99% sure not over here. You're best bet is ask a local farmer. I emphasis ask as if you take wood without permission it is theft (I don't care if someone tells you differently).

I had a local ask me if I had any trees down that I didn't want. I pointed him to a large, hairy, Norway Spruce tree that had blown over. It was out of view of the general public so wasn't concerned about anyone else getting ideas. Went down to check on him later, he was cutting away wearing only trainers, cotton jogging bottoms and a t-shirt, no helmet, no eye protection or anything. Last time I'm doing that.

Down here in kent, some estates sell off "cants". Although I havent seen it recently, there used to be auctions of Chestnut Underwood. From and owners point of view, considering the relatively small return, they would be wanting to sell to a reliable cutter.:thumbup:

If I were looking for some wood to cut, I would pop my contact/qualifications/ and insurance details on a piece of paper and drop it around to any farm/estate in the area. youll soon get a call

Be careful about pallets as they are usually treated, and it is not legal to burn treated wood, and not particularly healthy either!

They should have a stamp on somewhere and it usually has HT for heat treated rather than chemical so HT should be okay to burn.