How important 750kg chipper

Hardmet

The thing with track chippers is they totally change the way you work a lot of the time, so many jobs I used to do with mine would nvolve taking the hopper of, go through a 3ft gate, getting the machine next to the tree and chip on site- worked out considerably cheaper for the customer and far less ball ache for us.

When it came to taking chip away, well, you just work with it, landy would happily tow the loaded chipper on a trailer with a full load of chip, if it was a big job, tow the chipper to the job in a trailer, chip into trailer go and empty and come back for the machine later.

I also got plenty of jobs in woodlands- clearing scrub etc where you just couldn't get a tow behind, or at least not without a lot of hassle.

Definiatly not suggesting its the perfect machine for everyone but for my kind of work it was spot on, I'm currently hiring a tow behind chipper s and when I need it and truth be told I find it a little irritating having been used to a tracked machine for the last 3 years.

Hope that helps Swinny!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been looking at tracked chippers...

say 1.2t for the chipper and 550kg for the trailer thats 1750kg!

or do you go for an 8" road tow weighing 1400kg? (bigger rollers and infeed more power)

or do you go for a 750kg machine, easy to move about, less strain on truck, newer ones have letterbox openings so less snedding...

its a minefield!

Buy my 150 VTR, it's mint and has been well looked after. Once you go tracked, you'll never go back. LOL. I'm getting a new when they make it. :-)

I've had two tracked chippers. Too heavy, unless you have a specific contract I'd steer clear. Road tow and a compact tractor/quad for off road. Far more versatile IMO

i would completley disagree on that 1,i have had a tracky for over 8, yrs its the most verstile chipper iv ever had ,& will replace it with another 1, wen the time comes ,

& how much is the compact tractor earning wen not been used ?????,feckall,

tracky all the way :thumbup1:

This market is a minefield but on the + side there is so much choice & something for everyone. Sounds like the market will be crammed with more sub 750kg machines, more track variations & now smaller 8" chippers.

On the positive side in the larger end of the market we have a relatively empty playing field, this is why our best seller for the last Two years is 12".

i would completley disagree on that 1,i have had a tracky for over 8, yrs its the most verstile chipper iv ever had ,& will replace it with another 1, wen the time comes ,

How much is the compact tractor earning? Depends if it's splitting wood, loading chip, mowing grass, auguring post holes carting wood around or the hundreds of other applications I suppose.

Whats your tracked chipper earning when your using your tow behind??

:thumbup1:

I disconnect mine in seconds and the 3 of us can rag it into place as fast as the Portsmouth field gun crew.

Reversing seems to be a real trial with the Quadchip, I've never known anything like it!

It is either invisible or jack knifed, no happy medium...:sneaky2:

As for the weight factor.

I bought a 750kg machine because of the saving in fuel as we travel long distances.

Also I can move it with relative ease.

Also because it served 90% of the work very well.

Now I need a larger machine, we've got bigger and more productive.

Lots of Lawson/thuya hedge removal going on over here and a 6" chipper is just not able to cut it on some jobs so we end up queuing up to feed at times.

It's not the power, just the size of the 'letterbox' that it limiting.

Ty

So the no stress is not kicking in??

I run a 9" Schiseling powered by a 240HP unimog, we seldom chip stuff over 6", but its so fast because it just never stops.