Clearly a case of "well it aint my tool" syndrome...

wisecobandit

I simply don't lend out anything I can't afford to loose.

When in exceptional circumstances someone has borrowed a saw or other valuable tool it is with the understanding that if anything is different in any way from how it went out the whole machine gets replaced with a new one. No exceptions.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood the mentality of some staff around and about. I've heRd all sorts of "reasoning" for this behaviour. "The boss can afford it, have you seen how much he charges?" "The gears all knackered, best to break it so he buys new", or just "so what!". So glad I don't sub out these days and have to deal with this mentality daily.

The biggest issue I see even nowadays, is unsecured loads, tools thrown in the (full) load of chip waiting to bounce out at the first opportunity (and they do). I've even seen the chipper come off the tow ball as it's not been checked. They must have driven a few miles before they returned red-faced to the hire company they'd collected it from ( or not).

Two months ago I had just finished a 10 hectare site using my fs 460, got home put new blade, and gave it a quick service ready for next job, then the father in law ask if he could use it , I reluctantly said yes so I gave him saw and fuel, about 3 hours later he turned up and just put it in my work shop and went home, I went to it next day to find the blade had a few teeth missing and bent , when I ask him what had happened he just said that there was a lot of rocks in his next door neighbours forest, so he said he would get me a new blade I told him its not the blade I am bothered about it's the rest of the machine, he just laughed 6 days later clutch springs snapped.

A friend borrowed an electric mower to sort his grass due to his being bust. Returned it when I was out and said nothing. Not best impressed when smack bang in the middle of the lead was a great lump of insulation tape. When taken to task he said "well I did mend it!"

Umm never again.

Caught one of my lads using a 1/2 inch ratchet as a hammer. He got the message I was not impressed.

Caught my housemate using my torque wrench as a hammer once. I still don't think he understands why I shouted at him :)

I have a mental list of people I'd lend tools like chainsaws etc to. It is small. VERY small!

This thread needs this for a soundtrack :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGrC0KicSo]Corb Lund - Hard On Equipment (Tool for the Job) - YouTube[/ame]

customer. "do you have a mower I can borrow for the weekend?"

me "has the John Deere I sold you last year gone wrong then?"

customer " no, its fine. But I have just moved house and the builders have left the lawn in a mess so I dont want to use mine to start with in case it gets damaged"

Just realised I can top most of these

When I was assessor asked to look ar brand new ( as in couple of weeks old ) subaru pick up truck

Local estate had bought it for the gamekeeper

There had been no tractor available so he had planted whole field of game cover with pickup

Harrowed the whole lot

Pushed floor up by about six inches over whole of vehicle ......

Unrepairable but NOT AN ACCIDENT. So not covered by insurance.......

Amazingly one of the toffs loved him so didn't lose his job.......