Quick descent with a hitch climber isn't cool...

Stephen Blair

Just started using one myself ,never like climbing on pulleys much before but found the rope guide caused a lot more wear on cord but its getting used to it and adjusting your climbing techniqes accordingly,great tool though once you have !

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have read loads of posts about the vt on diferent threads and i could never work out how some things worked for some and not others. now i get it. i have some new cord from jus to try out, i have 2 oaks to deadwood tomorrow so i will try it out. there is a burn under them so i will put on my waterwings

I just think that the advantages out weigh the disadvantages but there are disadvantages!!

There are other self tendign hitches such as the helical that dont need a hitch climber pulley ( they do need a pulley of some kind) which are worth trying.

Going from a prussik directly to hitch climber vt/knute in one step is like going from rambling in the cotswolds to everest without visiting north wales and then scotland then the alps etc etc.

Hey, is that my best analogy yet?

My first ananlogy was going to be that a prussik is liek a reliable but not attractive girlfriend and the hitch climber was ..............................

But I deleted that one! What the second pulley trick? is that when you clip the tail end into a second puley so you make a 4:1? It does work well but can be cumbersome.

i have just started using one coming straight off a blake and micro pulley, what technique are you using for advancing, body thrust,arm over arm, others?

i see the advantages and intend to stick with it but find it a bit awkward to advance some times,on long ascents the sling between the hitch and harness is awesome though:001_cool:

it was tuned lovely when my feet hit the ground, undid myself, sorted out little boo boo. took 2 mins. clipped back on and off i went. i will certainly know next time after a quick descent to redo it. just complacency i know, but it gave me a bit of a wake up call that was for sure. havent milked it yet steve:blushing:took the plastic mould off so it fits through the ropeguide now, thanks for that. john its amrour pross. not sure if thats how you spell it. i bet it hasnt done 10 hrs work. it didnt feel worn out or burnt, it just didnt grip.

Armour prus should last 5months+ no matter how fast u decend on it,didnt think it was aviable unless u knew someone in nz.