Preparing saw for storage ...

Logdaft

I tend to store mine dry, the chain oil is generally OK left in but can go gloopy if two types have been used so flush with fuel if the oiler fails to work well when used again.

Pump fuel will harden the fuel lines over a period of time if there is a lack of fuel on the rubber.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pump fuel will harden the fuel lines over a period of time if there is a lack of fuel on the rubber.

That`s the reason I asked in the first place, as my old saw suffered from brittle/cracked fuel lines as it had been lying unused for a long period of time .... confused now! :confused1:

As a casual saw user, I've gone to Aspen for just this reason. I'm only going to cut wood in bursts - cut what I've got at any one time, the split and stack for drying - but I want the saw to run the next time I need it again.

Despite the extra cost, I think Aspen is worth it.

I just leave the Aspen and the chain oil in the saw and put it away in the shed.

As a casual saw user, I've gone to Aspen for just this reason. I'm only going to cut wood in bursts - cut what I've got at any one time, the split and stack for drying - but I want the saw to run the next time I need it again.

Despite the extra cost, I think Aspen is worth it.

I just leave the Aspen and the chain oil in the saw and put it away in the shed.

Thanks for that Jpw ... I`m a casual saw user like yourself, must admit I had never heard of Aspen until I posted this thread! :blushing:

So your saying that leaving fuel pipes empty will not cause them to crack? I was under the impression that the ethanol in pump fuel dries out the soft rubber, once exposed to air, not much of an issue with fresh fuel moving regularly through the pipes, but once they are drained and left?

I know Aspen solves all of these problems, but the Op is using petrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi,

I have found from my experience working in the trade and from the 244 dealers I call in on. Leaving the current pump fuel in any small engine can cause damage to carburettors that can not be fixed by cleaning them. If a small engine to be stored for more than 1 month I would not leave normal fuel in it. Better to replace the fuel pipes than have the cost of a new carb.

If you look at most small engine manufactures web sites they say not to use fuel that is over 4 weeks old.

Yet my brand new ts800 has only ever had aspen in it and when I got it out to use it a week ago took ages to get started, almost as if the aspen wouldn't ignite

Ms660 purchased at the same time but used more often only ever had 2 stroke mix in and started first time after the same 8 weeks on the shelf as the ts800

Was going to run the 660 out of 2 stroke mix and put aspen into it as it doesn't get used very often but that has put me off

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Yet my brand new ts800 has only ever had aspen in it and when I got it out to use it a week ago took ages to get started, almost as if the aspen wouldn't ignite

Ms660 purchased at the same time but used more often only ever had 2 stroke mix in and started first time after the same 8 weeks on the shelf as the ts800

Was going to run the 660 out of 2 stroke mix and put aspen into it as it doesn't get used very often but that has put me off

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi,

Did you get the TS checked over?

I have not had any other reports of this.

Please call me on 07568108953 or email [email protected]

We would like to know more.

Eddie