Biodiesel.

Mesterh

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I was towing a 3 tonne genset with our tdi disco. Several garages were closed so before running out I took the decision to put the 7 litres of clean engine oil stored in the boot. so about 50/50 mix I was surprised how much more poke the engine had with no smoke at all. I forgot to fill up at home and set of in the morning and went for miles before needing to fill up.

I have run every vehicle I've owned on it in the last 3 years including my new shape l200 and common rail Iveco daily. Previously it's gone in a sprinter and Vito (both cdi's) t5 transporter and so on. Good bio will run in any diesel engine FACT. 2500l per year can be used before tax becomes an issue. And you maintain mpg unlike when using LPG in a petrol. Great stuff :-)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.373928,0.481386

still hunting for methanol......:confused1:

help help:blushing:

Albion chemicals might sort you out depending on how much you want.

I have had a fair bit to do with bio, have made a few processors, but it isn't worth the hastle involved in collecting the waste oil imo (getting covered in the stuff no matter how hard you try to keep things clean) my personal opinion on it is that it should be made in places that are approved to store and handle chemicals such as methanol and lye, there are too many people out there doing it who have no idea how damaging/dangerous methanol can be and I find it hard to believe that in this day and age any tom, dick or harry can get it and pump it's vapours into the air, in the middle of a housing estate.

I learnt by an accident just how bad & scary methanol poisoning can be.

OK i'm off my soapbox now :)

Good bio can be run in pretty much anything, I am going to be running my landy on bio when it's done, but it is being supplied by someone I know who does it commercially, but I will still water test a sample from every IBC before I accept it.

Unless things have changed your 2500 litre duty free is only if you are producing it yourself

After my accident I just run my WVO system and used a 50/50 mix in one of my irrigation pumps with a duetz engine and it eventually started gumming up the exhaust valves and exhaust stack pipe, I also run it in my Same tractors and they loved it.

Just to add that again unless things have changed since I got out of it mixing used engine oil or kerosene and using it on the road is just as bad as running on red, it hasn't had the full duty paid on it so is illegal.

Scraggs is spot on, I make it all myself ;-).

I got the mix of black oil to 90% oil to 10% diesel. I just filtered the oil to 1 micron then blend in barrels and add to tank. Alot of people use it in lorries and pick ups in the US and it's also quite a common fuel here for lister petter engines used for micro generation and such like.

Mt engine and pump were totally stock I used it in a 5.9 cummins with Bosch p6100 (inline) pump, the SAMs fuel also went into an old hilux and worked. It smells awful and turns your exhaust soot White!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.373957,0.481242

I've also used black diesel, that's used engine oil filtered then mixed with bio to thin it worked quite well, and at 80-90 oil-bio was damn cheap!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.374018,0.481590

Billy, Tell us more.....exactly how did you filter it...how could you tell it was clean enough? Can you mix it with dino diesel? In what proportion? Does it have to be engine oil, what about hydraulic oil?

Ok to run in a deutz 2cyl. Engine?

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

Edited by firewood

everyone running on "white" diesel, is at the moment running on up to 10% bio fuel thanks to our "unelected " masters, they have decreed thats what will be added to all fuel sold in the uk. note most manufacurers only warrent up to 5% bio, take from that what you want!

dont be fooled into bio being the green option, you are using methanol, a by product of the petrochemical industry, previously very difficult to get rid of, and sodium hydroxide, a chemical which takes a great deal of raw energy to produce. going the SVO, or WVO, route is a much better option, google them for info, thees a multitude of good data out there, they even work out cheaper than red, where its allowed!

• 2 weeks later...
Billy, Tell us more.....exactly how did you filter it...how could you tell it was clean enough? Can you mix it with dino diesel? In what proportion? Does it have to be engine oil, what about hydraulic oil?

Ok to run in a deutz 2cyl. Engine?

kwfhomepage

A series of filter bags and magnet in the holding tank, 20 micron 10 micron then 5 micron bags into a IBC magnets, very strong ones in the ibc. then use it. you can mix it with dino diesel, hydraulic oil is perfectly burnable too. the simpler the engine the better.