Should be getting paid holiday pay???

desired_affect

We may have been a bit one sided here but I think some good points have come accross. Yes, we've bashed the boss quite a bit and we don't know his story but no harm done, we've advised based on the facts given if this young lad is telling it wrong then our advice to him is wrong so its too bad for him.

Discussing it here is actually what the forum is for and no names have been mentioned.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when you're young, its difficult to express yourself in the way you wish to come across to your employer. Perhaps desired affects reasoning behind bringing the topic up here is to clarify things in his head before he deals with the boss, and to check whether he is within his rights to even ask for hol pay, instead of making an ass of himself.

I think when you're young, its difficult to express yourself in the way you wish to come across to your employer. Perhaps desired affects reasoning behind bringing the topic up here is to clarify things in his head before he deals with the boss, and to check whether he is within his rights to even ask for hol pay, instead of making an ass of himself.

Right on,been there myself at that age.I wish i had arbtalk then because it would've helped me greatly becuase i'm sure it has helped desired affect.And the moral of the story was i left the said boss an he phoned me back within a week pleading with me to come back.I didn't.''Onwards and upwards'':001_cool:

Right on,been there myself at that age.I wish i had arbtalk then because it would've helped me greatly becuase i'm sure it has helped desired affect.And the moral of the story was i left the said boss an he phoned me back within a week pleading with me to come back.I didn't.''Onwards and upwards'':001_cool:

what usually happens is, nothing is said, you want to but can never get the right time or you are too scared to, then one day something happens and you go nuts and tell them to shove it up their bottom. thats how i went through about 6 employers in 8 months then started myself:blushing::001_smile:it is easy to give great advice when its not you having to do the confrontation. but talking is always the best way. it is difficult when you are younger. but you need to conquor your fears, i always hated confrontation and when you get older it gets worse, then anxiety kicks in and before you know it you have to start a stress thread. take a deep breath mate and pick up the phone and talk to the guy, dont loose your rag, just say what you want to, if you do it and end up with no job, it doesnt matter because you will feel great for making the big step and that is worth more than a poxy 6k a year. good luck mate

I would like to thank every one that has given input in to this thread so far, it has all been taken on board and i will be talking to my boss about all my concerns once I have spoken to citizens advice, I don't want to approach my boss on a issue I may be wrong about and create problems or a bad atmosphere *as well as wot Andy said make a ass of my self*. Needless to say I shall also be looking for alternative employment.

I went down today and missed them, Wednesdays is half day closing:scared1:.

you need to conquor your fears, i always hated confrontation and when you get older it gets worse, then anxiety kicks in and before you know it you have to start a stress thread. take a deep breath mate and pick up the phone and talk to the guy, dont loose your rag, just say what you want to, if you do it and end up with no job, it doesnt matter because you will feel great for making the big step and that is worth more than a poxy 6k a year. good luck mate

After you have spoken to CAB go home and write everything down, that you want to say, on a piece of paper then you wont get flumixed in the middle of your talk or forget anything important don't worry you won't look bad going in with a bit of paper in your hand. GO FOR IT!

if there is nothing else going and you need the money, then you just need to tough it out or walk mate. it is easy to see the boss is the big bad ogre, but if he hasnt much work and cant afford to pay you much then its better than nothing. i dont see any point of going to citizen advice unless you are going to chuck your job and try and sue him, i cant see him keeping you on if he gets a phone call from your free lawyer. and if you want the hassle of court and tribunals then on you go. personally if you are working for less than 6k a year i think you are nuts, just call him up have it out with him , then tell him to shove it. if you dont you will let people walk over you all your life. whats to say your next employer wont see your weaknesses and take advantage of you as well

Totally agree have it out face to face .Try to talk it over as pleasant as possible . You dont know when you might need a favour even if he is a ****. Move on dude your 23 you do sound down . At 23 you should be saying, lets have it , bring it on . Like Rupe said fightings good but not with the boss .all the best .

I would like to thank every one that has given input in to this thread so far, it has all been taken on board and i will be talking to my boss about all my concerns once I have spoken to citizens advice, I don't want to approach my boss on a issue I may be wrong about and create problems or a bad atmosphere *as well as wot Andy said make a ass of my self*. Needless to say I shall also be looking for alternative employment.

I went down today and missed them, Wednesdays is half day closing:scared1:.

I'm pretty sure I know who your boss is, not been in the tree game long has he? the reason he can't pay holiday pay is because, he is so cheap he can't afford to! the fool can't even change chipper blades! you need to drop this fool like a hot cake...

If he's up for a fight could I please take your place.......:001_smile:

I'm pretty sure I know who your boss is, not been in the tree game long has he? the reason he can't pay holiday pay is because, he is so cheap he can't afford to! the fool can't even change chipper blades! you need to drop this fool like a hot cake...

If he's up for a fight could I please take your place.......:001_smile:

yeah from what you have said I think you do know who it is. Dont suppose you have any work for some one say just one day a week???? :blushing:

I think no matter what advice you get from CAB or ACAS, (both free of charge by the way) you should be sorting out a good CV. Don't use an old one, make sure its up to date and good. Dont forget to tell them your age (because boss's do want to know without asking), whether you drive and also for how long. Do you need to do a trailer license? And obviously what qualifications and experience you have already and what you would ideally like to achieve. And I am always interested to hear about REAL hobbies, not the average rubbish that we might expect to hear like 'the countryside' or whatever. Its nice to know about the person you might be working with everyday all week.

And I know its a recession and all that, but I think things have been picking up slowly and with a decent firm, you never know, you might land on your feet and so might they with you.

Best of luck to you.

As I'm sure you can tell from the above, I do hate a crap boss.