virgin internet speeds a big con

predator

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

engineer bloke just been out and confirmed the reasons why my internet is so sloooooooooow is because of where i live and the network is almost 40 years old now so its being updated from the end of august onwards so now been fobbed off with a new fangled superhub and some moneys back etc all well n good but its not cricket havin crappy internet service etc never mind i will just have to take it on the chin till after august

i think i,am on old washing line for my cable etc i,ve even tried direct with ethernet cable in the back of laptop and its made not a jot of difference >>>> also while i was on hold on the phone listening to lady gaga etc a bloke came on and asked me did i want to upgrade to 100 gig or meg or what ever drives my pc its more like mud n old shite i get here atm rant over lol ps are you getting what your paying for though ?? here is mine

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Errr not sure how much I'm paying it's all bundled together phone internet TV, well I think phone it's not really my area 'er indoors deals with it, I think it's about £70 a month.

They asked me about upgrading to 100mb but they wanted to come around and I suppose upgrade it to fibre at no cost as the government pays for it but they told us we can't do it because of some connector/junction box thing being too slow/old and it's not theirs to upgrade.

Something else to consider is your modem. We recently upgraded to fibre broadband and I wasn't happy with the connection speed on my Mac. Then I tested it on the wifes Mac and various other devices and found they were getting twice the connection speed. I plugged my Mac direct into the router, and was then able to get the same connection as the others. The result, well basically it meant that for one reason or other my modem wasn't up to par...quite possibly due to it being 5 years old, i don't know.

Quick solution, bought some broadband extenders on ebay. One plugs in at the routers, the other plugs in anywhere in the house that you want to plug your computer into. I now have a wired connection running into my mac and maximum speed.

I appreciate this won't be of benefit for tablet users, or laptops if you want to use it different places in the house.

BT Broadband Extender 200 Kit-Complete Set inc Cables-BNIB-Fast-Easy&Reliable! | eBay

Hi

Direct wired connection generally provides best transmission but thats just locally, I suspect your old router did not support 802.11n the n providing wireless connection speeds up to 600Mbits/s over the 5GHz band,

If you change your router its handy to get a 'dual band' one that supports 802.11 bg as not all devices work on 5GHz yet.

BTW POE wireless extenders are extremely 'noisy' devices, but then you may not be able to access with a cable.

Theres a little program called iStumbler you can use to check your wireless signal strength.

N

Edited by NFG