Tracked Forwarder

CPH our local larger hire outfit, has only very recently started putting tracked dumpers on hire.

It had puzzled me that they were not before, so I asked why?

Answer was that they had previously looked into the running costs/economics, and that the prohibitive undercarriage maint and costs were the choker.

I must ask what changed in respect of undercarriage maint, or perhaps demand was simply sufficient to allow them to charge enough to cover costs.

m

PS

Surely a local engineering company could reverse engineer the rollers and knock them out for significently less, even if perhaps they did not last quite as long?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main fact many stay away from hire of Tracked Dumpers is the fear of a broken track!

Whatever the circumstances, it pretty much falls to the Hirer under the CPA Model conditions, and the huge resulting bill for replacement and fitting will strain the best of customer relationships.

It is pretty common knowledge that there are some real cheap tracks out there that are basically ticking time bombs for hirers, and the consequences are costly.

Greg will only go out with his machine with himself operating, and in such instance if the track breaks it's his lookout.

It's sometimes worth getting the larger dumpers operated, with written terms who is paying for track breakages, and I've done this myself to minimise risk.

You're spot on about the reverse engineering rollers, but we're just engineering what will hopefully be a very quick low cost rebuild option to keep them going for several lifetimes.

Eddie.

To LGP Eddie.

Can you post a close up picture of your clams attached to the grapple please. I have an idea that the old 5' JCB ditching bucket sitting in my scrap pile may be suitable, if cut in half and with two pieces welded into the resulting open ends......

Cheers, codlasher

This is the best I've got for now, you'll have to zoom in a bit, but I can get you some of them close up later in the week if you like?

The strip needs to be on the back of the cutting edge if you use the ditching bucket, it's not a big strip that the grab ends go into, I'd say about 40mm, and then the two small brackets with a couple of bolts to secure.

Simple but really handy I can tell you!

Eddie.

Shells.jpg.8584fbf89a0a97f24d3149181fcef1ca.jpg

The main fact many stay away from hire of Tracked Dumpers is the fear of a broken track!

Whatever the circumstances, it pretty much falls to the Hirer under the CPA Model conditions, and the huge resulting bill for replacement and fitting will strain the best of customer relationships.

It is pretty common knowledge that there are some real cheap tracks out there that are basically ticking time bombs for hirers, and the consequences are costly.

Greg will only go out with his machine with himself operating, and in such instance if the track breaks it's his lookout.

It's sometimes worth getting the larger dumpers operated, with written terms who is paying for track breakages, and I've done this myself to minimise risk.

You're spot on about the reverse engineering rollers, but we're just engineering what will hopefully be a very quick low cost rebuild option to keep them going for several lifetimes.

Eddie.

Too true eddie. The guy we bought ours off said there are cheaper Chinese ones available but they do not have any steel strengtheners inside them so they only last 2 minutes. He put a decent set of Marooka tracks on ours before we picked it up.

Hi there Rovers, yes, it would be useful info to have if you can. Sadly it's not reached top position on priority list yet, but if it does then it could help find one. Never having seen one go off a ride, my only concern is about whether it could cope with stumps, but as you say, could always use the winch.

Cheers, John.

Hi there Eddie, that's useful that it can bite a good scoop out of 40mm stone. I suppose the grab truck boys get on well with them, but I wondered whether they could bite in well. Do you have any down pressure on the crane other than the weight of it? Cheers, John.

The grab shells are made from quite a thin material that help to get a bite, and it will if you're not careful dig into turf or stone you're clearing up off quite easily.

No issue getting a full bucket in most materials or spoil you will encounter, and for the cost of them a valuable addition to the machine.

With regard to stumps, you really have to be careful, which is pretty much down to having a good Operator, and Greg get's spoilt by an Excavator Operator who's kind enough to turn over any of the nasty ones for him!

Eddie.