How do you run in a diesel engine?

Woodworks

Just drive it!

Wor 60,000 mile turned Octavia 1.6TDI was collected from the showroom in Lurgan, driven the wheen o mile to the M1 at normal congested "A" road speeds, then upper-normal "M" way speed the rest of the way home, about 50 or 60 miles.

I let the DSG worry about gear changing.

I never "fleeced" her from cold, simply allow a few miles/minutes to let the oil circulate/warm up.

Then drive normally.

Her does NOT use a drop of oil, well the merest, merest smidgen.

cheers

MPS

In the early days, on the way home at Lunchtime I did properly "thrash" her, but only for about 1.0 to 1.5 miles on a particular stretch of road, and only if the temp needle was "normalized" in the middle, after such a threashing, I then drove sensible and let the turbo simmer down before "pulling the strangler".

Edited by difflock

Hi

Ive owned a few diesels but not a new one, I would:

1. take it steady during warm up period, but this is common sense to allow everything to expand to operating temperatures and avoid wear from cold oil. I do this with any engine new or old.

2. avoid driving too hard for a few thousand miles to allow everything to bed in

3. initially, avoid long runs at high revs & try and vary the revs if you do a long journey

4. do the first oil change ahead of schedule if possible.

Pay attention to cam-belt change intervals as its a big bill if they break!

Dont forget to allow your turbo to run down if you have been travelling at high speed if you turn off the engine it may still be spinning and get starved of oil (applies to old or new )

Its easy for a dealer to say drive it like you stole it because they dont pay the bills. I have 220K on Land Rover & our other diesel our son drives has 195K miles, my other diesels all went well into 150K & more.

Just my thoughts

N

Edited by NFG

A diesel engine doing what?

I'm a long term member of the IDGTE so reasonably qualified to answer... :001_smile:

Former baseload generator commissioning engineer and my PhD was in diesel exhaust emissions.

A 2.5 TD in a pickup. A lot of short trips which I realise is not ideal.

Stuff the "early and often" oil changes.

(i) Observe the dipstick oil level, top up if necc.

(ii)change engine oil at the manufacturers recommended intervals.

(iii)Use the correct grade of oil from a reputable manufacturer.

From someone who took our first new bought car to 253,000 +miles, and all absolutly factory origional (cept for starter motors)

First on Case No. 1 Tractor oil changed every 5 thou, then switched to semi synth and changed every 10 thou.

And worked hard, very hard, for her keep.

m

Hi

Ive owned a few diesels but not a new one, I would:

1. take it steady during warm up period, but this is common sense to allow everything to expand to operating temperatures and avoid wear from cold oil. I do this with any engine new or old.

2. avoid driving too hard for a few thousand miles to allow everything to bed in

3. initially, avoid long runs at high revs & try and vary the revs if you do a long journey

4. do the first oil change ahead of schedule if possible.

Pay attention to cam-belt change intervals as its a big bill if they break!

Dont forget to allow your turbo to run down if you have been travelling at high speed if you turn off the engine it may still be spinning and get starved of oil (applies to old or new )

Its easy for a dealer to say drive it like you stole it because they dont pay the bills. I have 220K on Land Rover & our other diesel our son drives has 195K miles, my other diesels all went well into 150K & more.

Just my thoughts

N

Thanks for this :thumbup:

Makes sense to me. Didn't like being told "drive it like you stole it"