Let myself down

Jammydogg

Aah, I'm not told what we get booked in.

Want me to slow down? :P

In fairness if we chuck a four man crew on it I can see how it's be tough to be competitive. Small crews or sole traders can beat bigger firms on certain stuff, whereas the bigger crews can be better set up for bigger jobs.

For what it's worth I can see how it could be frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I agree with all of what u say my man, but i dont feel no negativity or bad vide towards you boys, no way, jus frustrated with myself at not being on your level to tackle a job of that calibre .

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't at my level 3 years ago, and hopefully I won't still be at this level in 3 years time!

Don't get disheartened mate, each climb will add to your experience and confidence.

You shoulda seen me when I was first sent up, it was painful! :biggrin:

A few years on I can tackle most stuff at a reasonable speed, I ain't fast, nor really slow.

I'm always up for a climb if you fancy it mate?

I wasn't at my level 3 years ago, and hopefully I won't still be at this level in 3 years time!

Don't get disheartened mate, each climb will add to your experience and confidence.

You shoulda seen me when I was first sent up, it was painful! :biggrin:

A few years on I can tackle most stuff at a reasonable speed, I ain't fast, nor really slow.

I'm always up for a climb if you fancy it mate?

Cheers for that joe. :-)

Yea man i know of a couple of big trees, il ask the owners of them see what i can do

Went to look at a job today for local village parish. Pollarding 3limes. Full of leaf right now, quite alot to them, job wants doing in oct time. Quoting agaist a decent long going firm. I just couldnt convince myself that i could get one tree down and done and processed in one day. Im quite confident and competant to have done the work but just not fast enough to keep the price down. Hence i didnt get it. Do all "newbie" climbers get this?

I feel it's inevitable that new climbers tendering for work will get this.

The typical route for a business owner/operator is to become a technician prior to becoming cheesed off with the useless/ungrateful/demanding/lazy boss and venturing out into the big bad world of commercial sharks.

Then they find out just how demanding running a business is without the added stress of not being a competent technician.

You are on a steeper learning curve than many. The steeper the climb the better the view. (Harder landing if you fall off though.)

Take the business view and not the personal one, though personality can have a bearing on some contracts.

C'est la vie.

Jammydog you sound like a good bloke, I like your attitude.

We've all been there mate.

Years ago I put £1200 on a conny hedge takedown which some other lads did for £400. I was seething.

They did it in a day, I had priced for two, with hired in chipper and 4 of us on site.

We still have a laugh about it when we meet up for a beer!

Joe Newton, who I've met briefly, but next time I will drink him to death, is a wise head on young shoulders. his input is spot on.

The way I looked at it when I started out is big firms may have the kit to knock a £1000 job out in a day but so what I dont have their overheads. If the job took 2-3 days as long as I was not booked solid I would rather take my time and do the job safely. Complete the job too quick some customers start wondering where their cash went.

Went to look at a job today for local village parish. Pollarding 3limes. Full of leaf right now, quite alot to them, job wants doing in oct time. Quoting agaist a decent long going firm. I just couldnt convince myself that i could get one tree down and done and processed in one day. Im quite confident and competant to have done the work but just not fast enough to keep the price down. Hence i didnt get it. Do all "newbie" climbers get this?

I've never understood this mentality.

Every job is worth X amount regardless of how it is done or who does it. Smarter/faster workers turnover more than you in a day. People with more equipment and overheads turnover more than you in a day. Simple.

However there is no point being better or owning better kit if you are not getting paid for it. If you had quoted 375 a day X4 days and they were at 750 a day x2. You both still want £1500 for the work.

More than likely, they wanted to use the other contractor for whatever reason and you would have to have been significantly cheaper to change their minds.

I've never understood this mentality.

Every job is worth X amount regardless of how it is done or who does it. Smarter/faster workers turnover more than you in a day. People with more equipment and overheads turnover more than you in a day. Simple.

However there is no point being better or owning better kit if you are not getting paid for it. If you had quoted 375 a day X4 days and they were at 750 a day x2. You both still want £1500 for the work.

More than likely, they wanted to use the other contractor for whatever reason and you would have to have been significantly cheaper to change their minds.

You sir are well spot on.

I definitely wouldn't worry, parish councils can be a nightmare anyway. In most cases they have no experience in Contracting let alone understanding the detailed requirements of tree work. I was on a seminar about contracting to councils (county and district) and laws are being put in place to ensure more local businesses get Council work, which I agree with in principle, also in October, iirc councils will have to decide contracts on value not price alone- by the sounds of it this will suit you better. There will always be idiots out there, ignore them have a chuckle as you pass and get on improving your own skills and business.

Not that long after I set up on my own I beasted myself on a bugger of a hedge reduction for 10hrs. I only charged £350, I found out late during the afternoon of the job the next cheapest price was £1200. By christ I felt sick and v v p****d off. But learnt a lot. I think we all get I wrong the trick is only making the mistake once😁😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

But you still charged £35 an hour with out your price they may of not bothered or gone out for more prices. If I have to pay £120 an hour to get my hedge cut I will take the day off.