towing a chipper in third lane of motorway

robert t

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No ifs, no buts, no vehicle of any description is permitted to use the third lane when towing. Be it a M or A road, and it never has been!

The only exception to this would be if there has been an accident or road works occupying lanes 1 and 2 and you have been directed to lane 3 for safety reasons.

The rule does not apply to dual lane M & A roads.

I don't know how long it is since you passed your driving test, but I find you're ignorance in this matter quite staggering. Whilst you are not expected to know every UK Road Traffic Law chapter & verse, it is your responsibility to have a basic understanding of what you can & cannot do in relation to the vehicle you are driving at the time.

Suggest that if you haven't already done so, get thee to a shop and buy a current copy of The Highway Code and revise what your responsibilities are when out on the open road. Far too many people these days seem to think that once they get their driving licence they can throw the rule book away and do as they damn well please!

No ifs, no buts, no vehicle of any description is permitted to use the third lane when towing. Be it a M or A road, and it never has been!

The only exception to this would be if there has been an accident or road works occupying lanes 1 and 2 and you have been directed to lane 3 for safety reasons.

I don't know how long it is since you passed your driving test, but I find you're ignorance in this matter quite staggering. Whilst you are not expected to know every UK Road Traffic Law chapter & verse, it is your responsibility to have a basic understanding of what you can & cannot do in relation to the vehicle you are driving at the time.

Suggest that if you haven't already done so, get thee to a shop and buy a current copy of The Highway Code and revise what your responsibilities are when out on the open road. Far too many people these days seem to think that once they get their driving licence they can throw the rule book away and do as they damn well please!

Here here sounds harsh but no gnarly oak is quite right. A refresh of the highway code is not a daft idea for anyone

wind your neck in bruv

I heard you can use the third lane with a trailer as long as you're reversing so technically you are not towing

Please don't blame me if you get caught though as it may not be correct

Prob best not to attempt it really.

I was directed to use the third lane once by a police vehicle when I was towing our caravan. He was tail end Charlie behind a convoy of low loaders with static caravans which took up two lanes of the carriageway and I still felt reluctant to do it, could have been a trap :D I like the theory that you could reverse down the third lane with a van on and not get done because you would be pushing the van not towing it but you'd have to be a bl00dy good reverser to do it while overtaking at 70mph :D

I tow in the right hand Lane with my jet ski, pulled by the Navara. I only do it to overtake though. Never been pulled, yet!

You've probably just not been spotted yet ;) Even an overtake if you're dragging anything is a breach of the law same as you should not exceed 60 so in theory not going fast enough to overtake most traffic.