is there a fitness test?

Stephen Blair

Fitness should be an issue but a positive mental attitude is more important. if you are willing to work hard at what you want to do youll get there.

Spot on richard,unfortunatley ive got to build all that fitness, strength back up again :thumbdown:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what!? when did you go to college the 1950s, of course theres no fitness test and if you cant muster the strength to succeed in arb regardless of a test or not you will fale, except without the test you are given the chance to develop the physical ability along the way

I start hnd arb after summer & theres no mention of fitness what so ever...

Think if you want to do this course/job you got to realise you need to be of reasonable fitness, especially whilst using a chainsaw when your up there.

When i started college 2years ago we didnt have any sort of fitness test but after a few people on the course really struggled with climbing, we suggested to the tutor about doing a "climbing assesment" when they come into college to attend there student interview.

They took this on board and have now started doing it. The tutors, or a older student someone like myself places a rope in the top of a 20m lime tree and then they are told to climb to the top and come back down, if you can do it and your interview goes well your on the course. If you cant climb it then they seriously consider not letting you on the course... simples :)

When i started college 2years ago we didnt have any sort of fitness test but after a few people on the course really struggled with climbing, we suggested to the tutor about doing a "climbing assesment" when they come into college to attend there student interview.

They took this on board and have now started doing it. The tutors, or a older student someone like myself places a rope in the top of a 20m lime tree and then they are told to climb to the top and come back down, if you can do it and your interview goes well your on the course. If you cant climb it then they seriously consider not letting you on the course... simples :)

so simple yet effective. nice one tom:001_smile:

interesting thread..... when i was at college there was no fitness test and i beleave that there should`nt. most people have never climbed until they join college, the more they climb the fitter they get. All good climbers are good groundsman first !

i think it would be quite unfair to not let anyone in for being unfit at the interview stage, i would say let them go away lose a couple of pounds get some upper body strength and try again you will soon know if they have the right attitude, if they come back improved you have a keeper, someone with determination to succeed.

Equality. Diversity. Dignity for all.

It's the state funded mantra and woe betide any one with enough common sense to point out that being morbidly obese may not be suitable for a would be climber.

I've also had the opposite though - students who are well aware that they will never become commercial climbers, for whatever reason, and are on the course for their love of trees and they want more knowledge. All good attributes that should be encouraged.

I think it sometimes takes someone with a lot more tact and diplomacy than me to point out the realities of the physical side of the job.