Improve Your MPG

rovers90

Adding 2 stroke to old diesels may not harm them but the latest stuff has dpfs. To avoid blocking them up we now use oils such as c1 spec which has lots of the useful additives removed to avoid blocking the dpf with ash. Then some bright spark goes and dumps a load of mineral 2 stroke in the tank. Components that are under more stress are valve train and crank due to lack of additives in the oil so two stroke wont help.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATF, cooking oil, 2stroke oil...

Load of old wive's tales that shouldn't really be posted as advice, where do people get this info from, someone up the pub?:001_rolleyes:

If your going to try an 'additive', go with professional advice, from people who know & can back up what they say.

Modern diesels are sensitive things, & cost loads to put right, some good advice in this thread, but some that ought not be posted imo.:001_smile:

Geoff the guys are not wrong . Engines made prior to 2006 will benefit by adding a drop of oil to the diesel. The injection systems made prior to this were designed to run with a fuel that had better lubricating qualities. The contentious issue here is whats best to use and from my research plain old cooking (bio) oil is more than adequate at ratio`s of up to 5%. Two stroke,atf and engine oil will all help or do the job . Totally unnecessary in vehicles 2007 onwards but important in the older ones.

As per this article,New Diesel Fuel and Old Diesels | Mercedes-Benz Club of America

Bob

Geoff the guys are not wrong . Engines made prior to 2006 will benefit by adding a drop of oil to the diesel. The injection systems made prior to this were designed to run with a fuel that had better lubricating qualities. The contentious issue here is whats best to use and from my research plain old cooking (bio) oil is more than adequate at ratio`s of up to 5%. Two stroke,atf and engine oil will all help or do the job . Totally unnecessary in vehicles 2007 onwards but important in the older ones.

As per this article,New Diesel Fuel and Old Diesels | Mercedes-Benz Club of America

Bob

Yes, on the older diesels I give ground, hence I mentioned modern diesels in my post, a distinction that ought be made if people are going to recommend an additive to diesel.

This is where my point lay.:001_smile:

• 2 months later...

Just to update this thread, Clean Drive recommend you add a tin of their compound every three months. Well, almost 3 months to the day my tank tally dropped back to 330. I let it go for a few weeks and this was the average so I put the second tin of Clean Drive in the tank. The following week I got 359 to the tank and last week I got 384 miles to the tank, the best I've ever had. At £15 a tin, I'm recovering that in two weeks and then the next 10 weeks is all savings.

i tried dipethane after reading an other thread, hi-lux went from 350 to 400 miles per tank.1litre costs 10euro and does 4 tankfulls, economy seems to last when i miss a few tankfulls

clean your maf sensor too, If I try really hard I can get 500 miles to the tank on 02 mk5 2.5 d4d standard size wheels, tyres havent tried it with the truckman top yet