Using engine oil as chain oil

magwick

What insurance covers engine damage ? Mine only covers accidents. If I blew the engine up it would be down to me to repair it but if I crash into someone they will pay to repair both vehicles.

I can buy 5 litres of chain oil for £15 inc. vat so a vat registered firm would be able to claim the £3 vat back, how cheap are they buying engine oil ?

The little hand held steam cleaners don't generate much water and would probably work well on saw gunk.

Considerably cheaper than £3/l - closer to £1.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably as it was thinned so much by the paraffin it gave the impression of not oiling. Technically it was oiling as it was pumping out but it wouldn't have been doing much in the way of actual lubrication.

Engine oil won't clog a pump. Veg oil can.

Exactly. Maybe it was parafin with a single "f", which is wax, and not kerosene.

Straight engine oil will work fine, you may just need to up the output on your oiler. It was what was used on chainsaws for decades without any issues, including in the mix. Rapeseed oil works fine, too. Again, you may have to increase your oiler output, and not let it sit in the saws idle for too long, or when it's very cold. Rapeseed is what's in bio-oil, up to 98% or so.

Spud - have ya tried using a cloth dipped in mix to remove caked bio oil? Works fine for me.

Edited by wyk

Of course, but not nearly as badly as engine oil (or pure rapseed oil). Bar oil has a tackifier in it, that helps it stay in place longer/better.

I wonder what the tackifier is on Husky and Stihl bio oil, as it does not modify their specific gavity/density much at all from that of Veggie oil(0.92 g/cm³@15C for STIHL Bio Oil - the exact SG on Rapeseed) according to the MSDS, and both state they are completely biodegradable. In all my use the last four years, all of it being 100% Rapeseed oil with no added tackifier, and nearly all of that put through ported saws, I haven't noticed much difference in performance or bar wear.

In case folks were wondering, all grades of STIHL bar oil, light through heavy, have densities from .88-.91, so basically very similar to rapeseed even in their petroleum-based chain oil. Rapeseed and heavy petro should flow similarly.

Edited by wyk