Most efficient way to process ARB waste?

arboriculturist

Biomass chipper directly into artic gone for good!!1

Yes but heizohack and tractor plus 360 with selectograb plus operator for the day and diesel costs about £1000 to run and you'd be lucky to get through 100 tonnes, so free on lorry cost in excess of £10/tonne. Great when you could deliver in at nearly 30 quid a tonne but loses you £6/tonne now.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I process quite a lot and my honest opinion - patience!

I use a hydraulic splitter, circular saw bench and chainsaw(s) which works well but you are not going to be getting through mountains in a day. Man handling the bit bits, wrestling with the twisted bits, bending and stretching - I just don't think there is a quick way of doing arb waste. At a leisurely pace I split and cut maybe 8-10 cubes in a day. It can be boring but I find you just get into a rhythm and you can 'zone out' to a certain extent (H&S notwithstanding). Best bit of kit - get some radio ear defenders. Makes the task far more enjoyable.

Edited by richy_B

I process quite a lot and my honest opinion - patience!

I use a hydraulic splitter, circular saw bench and chainsaw(s) which works well but you are not going to be getting through mountains in a day. Man handling the bit bits, wrestling with the twisted bits, bending and stretching - I just don't think there is a quick way of doing arb waste. At a leisurely pace I split and cut maybe 8-10 cubes in a day. It can be boring but I find you just get into a rhythm and you can 'zone out' to a certain extent (H&S notwithstanding). Best bit of kit - get some radio ear defenders. Makes the task far more enjoyable.

Agreed - tried several splitters, most not great, generally too slow. Planning to build a decent unit shortly, not going overboard 16 tonne with a cycle time variable between 2 and 4 seconds. Be talking to a couple of hydraulics companies 1st though - far more to consider than anyone can imagine one into variable cycle rates.

We use a posch hydro combi 22t with a four way splitter (slides off to a two way splitter if you find a really tough bit) with one guy cutting with a saw and one splitting we can do 10-12cubic metres bagged in vented bags and in barn in a day with our arb waste, without going too hell for leather. Have metal stand on base as we cut it all to rings to split (built a large table that sits on top so you are not always picking bits up) spent ages looking at it and can't see how you can do it much quicker without a massive splitter

Sent from my D5503 using Arbtalk mobile app

We use a posch hydro combi 22t with a four way splitter (slides off to a two way splitter if you find a really tough bit) with one guy cutting with a saw and one splitting we can do 10-12cubic metres bagged in vented bags and in barn in a day with our arb waste, without going too hell for leather. Have metal stand on base as we cut it all to rings to split (built a large table that sits on top so you are not always picking bits up) spent ages looking at it and can't see how you can do it much quicker without a massive splitter

Do you find the 4 way much quicker than 2 way, time you assess thje size of each piece to be quartered?

I recon it is enough quicker to be worth it, wasn't much more money, just takes a bit of time to get used to judging where to put on different size logs.

Put it this way it stays on nearly all the time now, only thing to watch is it can sometimes chuck the two quarters nearest you into your stomach, but you soon learn when this is likely to happen

I certainly think it's worth it