Petrol Water Pump

WelshMan

My elderly parents are looking to buy a portable petrol water pump to water their recently planted trees including willow, ash and hazel. Water can be taken from the adjoining river/stream. It would need to raise water about 3m maximum probably to an old bath or tubs. They're not too worried about pressure or flow rates. It needs to be fairly light-weight ie. easily moved on a barrow.

There are quite a few on ebay in the range £100 to £150 with bores ranging from 1" to 3".

I haven't a clue what I'm looking for. So if anyone's got any useful advice that would be great. I'm also not sure what needs to be done about filtering the water.

My elderly parents are looking to buy a portable petrol water pump to water their recently planted trees including willow, ash and hazel. Water can be taken from the adjoining river/stream. It would need to raise water about 3m maximum probably to an old bath or tubs. They're not too worried about pressure or flow rates. It needs to be fairly light-weight ie. easily moved on a barrow.

There are quite a few on ebay in the range £100 to £150 with bores ranging from 1" to 3".

I haven't a clue what I'm looking for. So if anyone's got any useful advice that would be great. I'm also not sure what needs to be done about filtering the water.

Taking in to consideration that your parents aren't bothered about flow/pressure and they need something light weight I would go for something like this.

ROBIN SUBARU Petrol Water Pump Two-Stroke Petrol Engine MODEL SE-25L | eBay

All you need for filtering is a strainer of some description fitted to the suction hose, plenty of them on eBay.

Oh, and don't go telling people that they are going to abstract water from a water course.......I'm not sure at what point you would need an abstraction license. But some things are best kept under ya hat.:biggrin:

Taking in to consideration that your parents aren't bothered about flow/pressure and they need something light weight I would go for something like this.

ROBIN SUBARU Petrol Water Pump Two-Stroke Petrol Engine MODEL SE-25L | eBay

All you need for filtering is a strainer of some description fitted to the suction hose, plenty of them on eBay.

Oh, and don't go telling people that they are going to abstract water from a water course.......I'm not sure at what point you would need an abstraction license. But some things are best kept under ya hat.:biggrin:

Eggs I bow to your expertise on the subject but these things need priming.

I'd go for a submersible and small genset, the submersible being hung off a bit of rope to suspend it clear of the bottom so it is sucking in clear water.

Eggs I bow to your expertise on the subject but these things need priming.

I'd go for a submersible and small genset, the submersible being hung off a bit of rope to suspend it clear of the bottom so it is sucking in clear water.

I agree with you totally sir, and if the op is after a submersible I'm just the very man to sell him one.:biggrin:

It would be less work for his parents if they could run an extension cable down to the submersible as and when needed.

HI MATE i no a chap very good ON PUMPS HE HAS NICE PUMP THERE FOR YOUR NEED GET HIM ON THE CIZZER AND PUMP WILL BE CHEAPER :thumbup1:THANKS JON

• 10 years later...

This old thread will do for a bump. I need a bit of help with some maths. I get the feeling @GarethM might have the knowledge for this one...

I'm currently using a 2-stroke water pump to move water from an IBC in a van to wherever it needs to be - usually either recently planted trees or hanging baskets and window boxes - but I'd like to see if it's possible to switch to electric, to reduce noise and fumes wherever I can.

I've also got a 1.1kw electric pump, same output as the 2-stroke. Is there any way on Earth that you could have the same kind of wiring setup as a campervan with a leisure battery, charging off the engine when moving, and giving power when switched off? Obviously a campervan leisure battery wouldn't give much run time, after going through an inverter... but is there a way to make it work? Bigger batteries, more of them? Steal them out of a written-off Tesla, maybe?

But would the necessary charge time between runs make the idea impractical? 

Happy to be told it's a pipe dream, I was just wondering.

Petrol definitely will always have the grunt and volume.

Anything other than a 230v will probably be quite glacially slow but it's only 1000 litres, what about something like a hose lock water butt pump running of an inverter ?.

Benefit being you can use a hosepipe.

2 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Benefit being you can use a hosepipe.

Well I'm using 1½inch fat yellow hose at the moment, anywhere up to 50m of it depending, and at that kind of distance I'd hate to go down to a skinny Homebase hose because of the loss of pressure through friction. Better to have a bigger volume crawling through a fat pipe than a smaller volume screaming through a skinny one...

But I've got a 12v to 230v inverter for the campervan, we've only ever used it to watch a film on the laptop, so not exactly hungry... but I've also seen others' camper setups where they are running a little electric oven and even a kettle off their leisure battery, which are much hungrier, through an inverter again... so there must be a way of doing it. 

As you say, petrol will always have the grunt, you could empty the IBC 4 or 5 times off a tank of hydrocarbons, the question is how many electric batteries would it need to empty it a single time, even with trickle charging while driving around...

I might just have to do some tinkering with it on a rainy day sometime I suppose!