Need a full firewood processing setup

Stu Baillie

Why not contact some of those guys in Eastern Block ( alibaba.com ) and get THEM to deliver a lorry load of kiln dried logs - they'll sell them ready bagged up too

You just need pallet truck and rent a shed and your in business -- cash and carry logs

Just got marketing to do then .........which is what your good at......

£10k and your in business - cheaper than mini cab

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not contact some of those guys in Eastern Block ( alibaba.com ) and get THEM to deliver a lorry load of kiln dried logs - they'll sell them ready bagged up too

You just need pallet truck and rent a shed and your in business -- cash and carry logs

Just got marketing to do then .........which is what your good at......

£10k and your in business - cheaper than mini cab

Have often wondered this. Considering you can get FSC hardwood logs the equivalent of 1m3 unstacked for just over £30 there is a pretty impressive profit margin available, especially when there is no processing involved and it comes ready packed and dried.

Guess it depends on how ethical your customers are with local vs imported, but if it comes down to an extra £15 in their pocket per tonne bag could probably guess the answer.

Have often wondered this. Considering you can get FSC hardwood logs the equivalent of 1m3 unstacked for just over £30 there is a pretty impressive profit margin available, especially when there is no processing involved and it comes ready packed and dried.

Guess it depends on how ethical your customers are with local vs imported, but if it comes down to an extra £15 in their pocket per tonne bag could probably guess the answer.

Well I looked and could not find anyone for that sort of money... The issue is one more of lifestyle and ethics... I can't see firewood travelling that far on road being particularly green for the environment! So... Not that I want it but if you point me in the direction of someone in the Eastern block that you could trust to send your money to and wait for your logs.. Well that would be a thing....

Please pm me where this is available from, I could do with some especially at that price. Timber I had delivered in April 13 I reconed cost me about £40 a cube for timber + an hour a cube processing. Small machine admitted.

I did buy half a container from a friend late last winter that had come from the Soviet block, Birch at 18%-20%, it was exactly as described. Looking to probably buy 2 containers from them this winter.

Thanks

A

I just quickly searched alibaba and did the conversions, the price was from someone offering cheap kiln dried ash firewood. There may well be more charges to apply, having never done it before I'm quite ignorant in the whole thing.

I just quickly searched alibaba and did the conversions, the price was from someone offering cheap kiln dried ash firewood. There may well be more charges to apply, having never done it before I'm quite ignorant in the whole thing.

I would imagine the price to be ex works (collect from factory) as the seller can't know final delivery point when quoting a price. So haulage to boat, on boat, from boat and finally import taxes to be added. You can organise each stage yourself or get larger company to give you a door to door quote and also take care of paperwork. Latter option more expensive obviously but if you don't know about importing is best route IMO, too many pitfalls otherwise.

And both seller and shipper will expect cash up front from a new customer.

If your looking into importing firewood speak to Dan at Premium wood - http://www.premiumwood.co.uk

We have done a few loads last year to bulk up our stock and they are superb. A week lead time, no money up front, you pay when it arrives and you have inspected it. The timber is extremely good quality and all down to 10-15% outside and 20% inside. People need to get with the times, i have had some utterly crap cordwood come through the last few years and the price is getting higher and higher.

With the forestry commission cutting down most of the softwood in South Wales in the next 5 years the power stations are going to be buying hardwood instead. I was paying £15/20 ton for softwood 3 years ago and the latest price is £42+vat delivered! It wouldn't surprise me that the hardwood prices go up towards £100 a ton in the next 5-7 years.

For now I'm going to be kiln drying as much as i can and getting a bit of RHI back, then importing if stocks are looking low.

How does the density of dried split, and carefully stacked per Eastern Bloc practice, work out in terms of maxxing out the carrying capacity of a 40' truck.

Simply guessing that it should be simple to get a price based on a full 40' truck load, maxxed out, that is to say NOT a container load (which sounds a dreadfully inefficient way to ship firewood)

so 12m by 2.5m by (guessing) 3.0m hi= 90m3

At £10.0/cube=£900.00 for haulage and import duties.

My gut feeling is this is a better model than spending £200/250k in a UK based production set-up.

Rather buy yourself a HGV and get a trailer fabricated to suit fire-wood, and import all summer to stockpile, to sell on, wholesale or retail over the winter months.

m