70 years ago today

ArthurBottlesworth

Respect to all the fallen soldiers on both sides.

But history is only told by the victors.

But i am of the opinion that Britain and America took on a severly depleted and weakened Wehrmact after the rigours of fighting the Red Army for 4 years. As Stalin wanted to know why did it take so long to assemble an invasion and come to Russia's aid earlier?...Answer... Churchill played a blinder by letting the Russians and Germans knock 7 bells out of each other before going in for the kill against the Germans later in the war. 75% of the German Army died in Russia, and it took 35 countries to defeat them.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the d day veterans walking through the streets of france being cheered (some crying) by French men women and kids (obviously been told by their peers how they were saved by the allies). Bleary eyed time

Respect to all the fallen soldiers on both sides.

But history is only told by the victors.

But i am of the opinion that Britain and America took on a severly depleted and weakened Wehrmact after the rigours of fighting the Red Army for 4 years. As Stalin wanted to know why did it take so long to assemble an invasion and come to Russia's aid earlier?...Answer... Churchill played a blinder by letting the Russians and Germans knock 7 bells out of each other before going in for the kill against the Germans later in the war. 75% of the German Army died in Russia, and it took 35 countries to defeat them.

They took on hitlers most fanatical and elite units who fought to the death in Normandy, they were far from worn out,are boys deserve massive respect for being pushed to there deaths in waves to crush the nazi regime and destroy the german army in Normandy.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

:

They took on hitlers most fanatical and elite units who fought to the death in Normandy, they were far from worn out,are boys deserve massive respect for being pushed to there deaths in waves to crush the nazi regime and destroy the german army in Normandy.

:thumbup1: Well said that man!!

You seem to be quite selective with your Statement, The truth is the German Army of 1944 was a different army compared with 1939, The 1944 army comprised of hardend veterans such as the Waffen SS, Foreign conscripts, Hitlers youth (13 year old boys) the Volstrum, which were men deemed to old for the regular army, and injured soldiers which were not fit enough for the Eastern front,, but their main problem was a chronic lack of fuel to keep those thirsty Tiger Tanks in petrol, 600hp and 1 mile to the gallon, when the Red Army recaptured the Ploistu oil fields back off the Germans in Romania in March 44 it was game over and damage limitation as far as Hitler was concerned...Most of the German fleet was put on fire by its crews to stop them falling into the enemys hands.

I visit battlefields and memorials all round the world and I never fail to be moved and count my blessings that conflict on such a massive scale has not happened to my generation (yet). Albeit it's ww1 but the monument to the missing at Thiepval makes the hair on your neck stand up - 72,000 missing bodies from one battle alone.

For ww2 The sacrifice and courage shown at Normandy to storm beaches and slog your way inland is almost beyond comprehension. That said, the German war machine by mid 1944 was a shattered remnant of its former glory and that it was so resilient in both east and west fronts when massively outnumbered is also an incredible feat of arms.

I live in in a country, where on the whole, I can think and say what I like. Yes there are problems but more than less I live in peace. If it were not for people who gave so much, I would not be here now; would not be allowed to think and openly express my views; would not live in a predominantly free society.

I don't agree with the concept of war on the whole. Yet, sometimes the means does justify the the goal. And it seems to me, that WWII is a prime example of a just fight, against maniacal nations gone mad with a sense if revenge and or a lust for domineering power.

Only found out a couple of years before he died that one of my Grandads was on D-day, he never spoke about the war it was only after his 2nd and 3rd strokes that his short term memory went and he started telling us fragments about it, apparently he was below decks on a ship when it was shelled and later went onto Japan, my other Grandad was in North Africa along with one of my great uncles and also had another great uncle who was a Captain can't remember which regiment, but we have a letter among his belongings where he was to be promoted to Major I think it was but he refused the promotion as he was happy where he was, got a fair amount of photos and information on them all just need some time to dig a bit deeper.

You seem to be quite selective with your Statement, The truth is the German Army of 1944 was a different army compared with 1939, The 1944 army comprised of hardend veterans such as the Waffen SS, Foreign conscripts, Hitlers youth (13 year old boys) the Volstrum, which were men deemed to old for the regular army, and injured soldiers which were not fit enough for the Eastern front,, but their main problem was a chronic lack of fuel to keep those thirsty Tiger Tanks in petrol, 600hp and 1 mile to the gallon, when the Red Army recaptured the Ploistu oil fields back off the Germans in Romania in March 44 it was game over and damage limitation as far as Hitler was concerned...Most of the German fleet was put on fire by its crews to stop them falling into the enemys hands.

I would not of fancied my chances myself in the Normandy breakouts in the British Canadian sectors against the infamous heer and ss tiger battalions or the fanatics of hitlerjugend.

we took heavy losses we could replace... they could not.

There were very very few Tiger Tanks in Normandy.