Snap cuts and foot sling

NickinMids

Just wondering as someone relatively new...is there a type of formula for making successful snap cuts. I mean any relationship between diameter of stem ..distance between cuts and depth of cuts. I find I'm very hit and miss and its a waste of time and energy to lower the saw then find the damn bit wont break off.

Also, does anyone make some sort of adjustable foot sling to use in place of basic webbing sling when your getting a better stance for using saw. Don't think I've seen anything but surely it would be cheap to make a bespoke item that attaches to tree and adjusts to give exactly right length to stand comfortably.

i dont know of a formula or rule of thumb it vcomes with more experience i find that i used to cut them too close and had a few go earlier than anticapaited but now i have got more experience i am better.

a tape sling is a good addition to your climbing kit if you want it solely for a foot sling you could get a small one and double it over through a piece of garden hose then attach that to another sling or something so that when u stand on it it doesnt hurt your foot as quickly. hope that last bit made sense

Thanks Ian. I agree when I first started I instinctively tried cutting too close thinking it would snap easier which it didn't. Suppose time of year makes a difference too as now stuff is semi green and sappy. Maybe I need to go further apart with cuts. Cheers for reply

Agree...a tape sling is an invaluable piece of kit to carry on your harness. Re direct, foot loop, used to hold a hand held piece, emergency pole rescue, I sometimes choke them round a stem if there's not a good anchor point for my line. Then there's rigging on top. As for split level cuts it just happens :001_smile:

Thanks Ian. I agree when I first started I instinctively tried cutting too close thinking it would snap easier which it didn't. Suppose time of year makes a difference too as now stuff is semi green and sappy. Maybe I need to go further apart with cuts. Cheers for reply

I have a daisy chain which one on the loops is big enough to get your foot In that would work well for an adjustable foot sling. Can also use it for loads of other things, if you buy one make sure it is a long one and wear your boots to the shop so you know your workboots will fit through the loop ImageUploadedByArbtalk1402004165.755493.jpg.d708ba8ecac8b10a6912cdb0b06b5007.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1402004113.828911.jpg.fb137261ee817119585a0e3cb8792076.jpg

If there was a formula, how would you apply it up a tree.:001_rolleyes:

Would you measure the branch, get out your calculator and do some workings?:biggrin:

Just do it over and over again and your brain will eventually be the calculator.:thumbup1:

Muscle memory I think kicks in at 20,000 repetitions.

My first cut on a tree is to see what it's doing that day.

It will just come together.:001_smile:

I try and work too cutting the steps double the width of the branch with foliage for a long section.

The width and an inch for a short section.

Timber can vary depending on size and weight infact so can branch wood but generally the double width rule works if there is no wind, heavy wet foliage and fruit.... basically there's to many variables to give a firm rule! Only experience will give you an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk