Stock Fencing

Gary Prentice

Hi, we have a prospective client whose neighbour has entered his land and felled a load of tree - to improve his view. Anyway it's going to court and I need to sort out a estimate of his losses - 13 odd semi-mature trees and twenty five extra heavy standards at a rough estimate - ouch....

There's horses in the field so the new planting is going to need protection. Can someone give me a rough cost for 30m of stock fence suitable for this. It's a straight run of 25-26m then a right-angle turn and a run of four to five metres. I'm assuming that it would be four or five wires and a barbed top?

This will just save me a load of working out, ringing around or searching on line. A cost per metre or whatever will help. PM me if you prefer,

Many thanks.:thumbup1:

Don't underestimate how far a horse can reach over a stock fence. You will either need a high fence (increasing fence cost) or the fence will need to be a reasonable distance away from the trees to stop them nibbling (increasing the cost of land taken out of production)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Nowadays ur looking at 5ish quid a meter but as job is so small expect to pay a lot more, prob a 1/4=1/3 of a day job()which as usual would prob waste mosyt of a 1/2 day

Most of the work is in putting strainers and stays in and tieing of net, wouldn't take much longer to do 100m really

Would guess most fencers would use post and rail for the short 4-5m part, also some poeple don't like barb with horses, think it rips there skin?

Forest Fence | Jacksons Fencing

Straight of the web. "Forest" fence 1m high by 50m roll is about £69

Here is a link.

Thank you.

Don't underestimate how far a horse can reach over a stock fence. You will either need a high fence (increasing fence cost) or the fence will need to be a reasonable distance away from the trees to stop them nibbling (increasing the cost of land taken out of production)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Good point. I allowed a fair bit of room but will add a bit more, don't want a nag chewing on a 45-50 semi-mature:lol:

Nowadays ur looking at 5ish quid a meter but as job is so small expect to pay a lot more, prob a 1/4=1/3 of a day job()which as usual would prob waste mosyt of a 1/2 day

Most of the work is in putting strainers and stays in and tieing of net, wouldn't take much longer to do 100m really

Would guess most fencers would use post and rail for the short 4-5m part, also some poeple don't like barb with horses, think it rips there skin?

Another good point - I'll provide prices for stock, and post and rail

Cavat and Helliwell was my first thought, but the sheer numbers themselves incur a considerable cost. I'll suggest to the client that 5-6 semi-mature will serve his purpose and be reasonable.

The fellow who wanted a view probably hasn't yet realised the prospective cost of his actions:lol::lol:

Big no no using barb wire where horses are present (I live on a livery yard)

Post and rail or electric, otherwise the people who own the horses will end up making a claim.

Second that . Bit of electric .

Blasted horses chavel up and ruin post and rail in my experience. I second the electric if its viable.

Have you thought about either metal tree guards or wooden vase types. Will cost more, won't waste any grazing land.

Last but most importantly will give the neighbour who is paying a classic parkland view.