Who has a swivel on their bridge?

openboater

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received this new ART Twister swivel through and it's real nice! And it fits the carabiner locks through as well perfectly (well on my dmm ones anyway) real lightweight. I have used the DMM small upto now, but this looks a winner out of the packet. [ATTACH]158757[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]158758[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Wonder what the twister would be like on your bridge? The edge radius looks small and inner part flat, never seen one in the flesh myself, the DMM axis swivels look the best option and possibly designed for bridge connection.

Most swivels are not really designed for soft bridge connection causing premature wear of the bridge and the swivel as the abrasive rope wears the inner part of the swivel over time. Rings are an ideal bridge connection they rotate around leading to a more even wear.

The Rook ROOK Swivel Rope Bridge Pulley, Up to 1/2" Diameter Rope has been designed as a bridge swivel, the pulley on the bridge connection mean wear in one point is not an issue.

Could you elaborate on this please Rich? I love my V.T. but for the fact it turns my rope into a 45m chinese chip.

Well it worked for me.

3 wraps and 2 braids. The top of the hitch cord goes under on the first braid and 2nd instead of the top braid going over the top for the first and second.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a few comparison pics for you all who were asking about the twister, been using it a few weeks on my bridge now, really light compared to the dmm, that's what I really notice, a lot less bulky too

[ATTACH]159566[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]159567[/ATTACH]

Is that a noticable wear grove in the DMM axis swivel? How old is it and is that your original bridge?

I've had my dmm swivel for about six months, and that wear spot appears to be just a rounding of the interior surface. Once it gets round the wear slows. After a few years there will be a noticeable groove, thinking about getting a rook for the next bridge attachment.

Had the same happen with a petzl. I retired it after a few years, had it break tested and it still broke at specified strength. Broke at the center, not at worn point.

I've had my dmm swivel for about six months, and that wear spot appears to be just a rounding of the interior surface. Once it gets round the wear slows. After a few years there will be a noticeable groove, thinking about getting a rook for the next bridge attachment.

Had the same happen with a petzl. I retired it after a few years, had it break tested and it still broke at specified strength. Broke at the center, not at worn point.

As said above, the surface area on the art swivel is larger so will be interesting to see how long it takes to wear, as I said iv been using swivels for years now, never let them wear away, but you have to keep a eye on it!