heartbroken

broonie

Last night at 11.20pm Ernie our cane corso died in my arms, we have had him since he was 8 weeks old, 10years and 7months..... I have never felt such sadness and sorrow since my dad died 28 years ago. It was just so sudden, he was a bit lethargic Sunday and yesterday but still eating and drinking fine. He ate his dinner as normal but refused to go for a walk which was unusual. At 8pm he was sick then drank lots of water. He lay on the floor on his favourite spot so I decided to stay up with him in case he needed to go out or was sick again. I must have drifted off and Lynne got up at 11.15pm and shouted on me that something was amiss, I lifted him onto the sofa so he was more comfortable, held him in my arms caressing his head while Lynne went to get the Vet's number, he looked at me and just drfited away. I feel so guilty that maybe we should have called out the Vet earlier but maybe it was just his time. We are so going to miss him .

R.I.P. Don Ernesto Ardvari a wonderful loving loyal companion.:tears:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night at 11.20pm Ernie our cane corso died in my arms, we have had him since he was 8 weeks old, 10years and 7months..... I have never felt such sadness and sorrow since my dad died 28 years ago. It was just so sudden, he was a bit lethargic Sunday and yesterday but still eating and drinking fine. He ate his dinner as normal but refused to go for a walk which was unusual. At 8pm he was sick then drank lots of water. He lay on the floor on his favourite spot so I decided to stay up with him in case he needed to go out or was sick again. I must have drifted off and Lynne got up at 11.15pm and shouted on me that something was amiss, I lifted him onto the sofa so he was more comfortable, held him in my arms caressing his head while Lynne went to get the Vet's number, he looked at me and just drfited away. I feel so guilty that maybe we should have called out the Vet earlier but maybe it was just his time. We are so going to miss him .

R.I.P. Don Ernesto Ardvari a wonderful loving loyal companion.:tears:

So sorry. Seems unfair that the coolest companions have such a short time with us. Your writing on this matter gave Ernie's life great honor. I saw a bumper sticker today that said,

"Dear Lord, help me to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am."

Then I saw your post. Your post is evidence of the kind of man your dog thought you were.

Not much consolation at the moment, but it doesn't sound like he suffered and the end came quick. Their time with us is so short and the attachment so great, it's the burden and heart-ache we have to accept for having them in our lives. It doesn't make it any easier, I've one myself whose days are numbered, every time she sleeps I wonder if she'll wake. Not good.

I am bawling reading your post. I am taking my Lab for a one way drive to vet on Fri. Him and I cut our wildfowling teeth together and it breaks my heart seeing a shadow of a once big, mad enthusiastic dog.

RIP all our departed smelly, infuriating moulting bloody friends, we miss you.