Saw modifications

thetoolnut

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But as iv stated 35 years commercial cutting around the world and iv never found any real advantage o and the manufacturer will not stand by any modded saw

:001_tt2:

35 years and you haven't found an advantage?

Has anyone ever watched the BC version of HSE videos(BC faller training standard) on how to safely operate a chainsaw and felling? Many of the chainsaws in the video are ported. If you do not work in production, I can see how a ported saw doesn't help as much.

If I worked in forestry on piece rate, the first thing I would do would be to send my saws to Spud. No brainer.

It's the same reason we run smaller bars on big powerheads. My MS250 with 12" 1.1mm bar will outcut my 034 with a 13" .325 bar on. And it weighs much less.

The insurance we are all talking about, is it Public Liability, Employee Liability or Personal Injury - just trying to clarify as I am not involved with running an Arb company!

My experience in H&S is from 20 years in engineering and manufacture rather than the Arb industry. With employees there is really little excuse at putting their health at risk so any modified saws or saws in poor repair supplied to workers would be frowned upon.

I port saws on the request of the owner and have the decency to question if the saw is for their own use and therefore, their own liability if anything goes wrong. I do check, clean, repair and test the chain brake and ensure the chain catcher and throttle lock work on all saws I get in and personally feel that failure in this area would have more impact on the operators health than a percentage improvement in the saw and how it runs.

I know a few guys have standard saws for their employees and keep the modded saws for their own use - it makes sense!

Whilst the guys on here want ported saws, I will mod them but will also point out - DON'T HAND THEM OUT TO EMPLOYEES TO DO THEIR JOB ......be safe and sensible!

And spud does a cracking job if anyone has concerns . He has done many of my saws the first of which was my 346 . This was done at least 2 years ago , maybe more , it is an " everyday " saw and has never let me down . Recently picked up my mates standard saw by mistake ( he had supposedly picked up mine by mistake !) and I thought there must be something wrong with it . There is a very noticeable difference between them . If you were on piece work you would want mine no question .

The insurance we are all talking about, is it Public Liability, Employee Liability or Personal Injury - just trying to clarify as I am not involved with running an Arb company!

My experience in H&S is from 20 years in engineering and manufacture rather than the Arb industry. With employees there is really little excuse at putting their health at risk so any modified saws or saws in poor repair supplied to workers would be frowned upon.

I port saws on the request of the owner and have the decency to question if the saw is for their own use and therefore, their own liability if anything goes wrong. I do check, clean, repair and test the chain brake and ensure the chain catcher and throttle lock work on all saws I get in and personally feel that failure in this area would have more impact on the operators health than a percentage improvement in the saw and how it runs.

I know a few guys have standard saws for their employees and keep the modded saws for their own use - it makes sense!

Whilst the guys on here want ported saws, I will mod them but will also point out - DON'T HAND THEM OUT TO EMPLOYEES TO DO THEIR JOB ......be safe and sensible!

hear hear this is all iv been trying to explain Spud is clearly a sensible chap in his approach :001_smile:

35 years and you haven't found an advantage?

Has anyone ever watched the BC version of HSE videos(BC faller training standard) on how to safely operate a chainsaw and felling? Many of the chainsaws in the video are ported. If you do not work in production, I can see how a ported saw doesn't help as much.

Iv not watched the video but yes iv been cutting since the late 70s starting with a 075 my first saw on large hardwoods then went on to 480cd then Dolmars then 266 281 2101 then 254 262 272 then 357 372 395/5 3120 Now running 550 s and have jumped to 441s and makita 9100 Along side some of the old stuff To supply our stenner bandmill and two Jappa prosesors and felling contracts across the Cotswolds Never lost any sleep over not using ported saws for production :thumbup:

Iv not watched the video but yes iv been cutting since the late 70s starting with a 075 my first saw on large hardwoods then went on to 480cd then Dolmars then 266 281 2101 then 254 262 272 then 357 372 395/5 3120 Now running 550 s and have jumped to 441s and makita 9100 Along side some of the old stuff To supply our stenner bandmill and two Jappa prosesors and felling contracts across the Cotswolds Never lost any sleep over not using ported saws for production :thumbup:

And I don't lose much sleep porting saws. I've been running saws since 1989. Not all the folks here are young bucks.

I will say this, though - you won't see anyone getting sued or in trouble for having a ported saw. I haven't seen it happen in 25 years, and you won't see it ever happen, either. Porting a saw does not turn it into a monster(unless you port it to be so, which means it's not able for work). It simply makes it run better. Personally, I think you're letting paranoia get the better of you.

As I mentioned earlier, folks use all types of saws. Saying a 50cc saw with 30% more power is suddenly dangerous when folks run 70cc saws with half again more power all day, every day, is disingenuous at best.

No I'm looking at both sides and not paranoid I'm a trainer and assessor as well as contractor all I'm saying is one day it may happen and I know that if a injury is apportioned to the use of a modded saw then I'd be almost certain that any cover will be invalid much the same as any machinery that has been adapted and therefor probably not complying with PUWER regs And I'm also happy that we all have our own take on modded saws if they increase production and are safer then all well and good. Perhaps I or't to run some myself and make my millions unfortunately I'm flat out and to tight to spend me cash on modding saws perhaps when I eventually hang me hat up il have a play LOL

Thats ok then . Mine however aren't a factory option .

That's a husky though, they don't have bolt-on, bolt-off options...

Although yours looks much nicer than my welded combi-spanner option

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App